Happy Birthday

(Flashback chapter:

Harry's first birthday with a flatmate,

Y/N realizes her feelings for him)

...

Harry hated birthday parties.

He didn't have a terrible childhood as everyone might assume, he just thought birthday parties were flashy. A bunch of people gathering around him to sing a stupid song while he must stand there like an awkward fool, waiting for the song to end to make a wish that would never come true. If that wasn't flashy, what was?

Harry's last birthday party was in third grade. And he couldn't remember what happened except for his parents inviting a bunch of kids from his class, most of whom didn't even like him and only showed up for free food. That was the reason Harry had sworn to let nobody know his actual birthday.

This took place a couple of months ago, it was Y/N's turn to do the laundry, and by accident, she found Harry's ID card in his pants pocket and discovered his date of birth. He didn't know that she knew and she wasn't planning on telling him. Otherwise, she wouldn't be able to throw him a surprise party which she had planned one month prior to the special day.

"Harry hates birthday parties. And he's gonna hate you for this." Niall stood with his arms crossed and his back against the fridge, watching Y/N struggle with flour and raw eggs to follow this birthday cake recipe she'd found online. She was practicing to make a real one for the party this weekend. Her last three trials had all failed miserably but she was never the kind of person who gave up so easily.

"If you think this is a bad idea then why are you helping me?" She grumbled. Her tongue stuck out from the corner of her mouth as she turned on the egg-beater to mix the ingredients in the big bowl, careful not to spill the mixture all over the counter like last time. Niall couldn't help but snort at how funny she looked.

"I want to see his reaction," he said.

"But you're his best friend. You should be the one to throw him a birthday party, not me!"

"Yeah, I'm his best friend and that's how I know he won't like this. I'm only helping you because there's free cake, and very likely, a pissed-off Harry."

Y/N rolled her eyes. She believed no one could hate his own birthday this much. Birthdays were supposed to be the most important events of one's life. She was always so excited about hers, just thinking of all the gifts and special treatments from her loved ones made her the happiest already. Maybe Harry had never properly experienced something like that, to realize how fun birthdays could be. Thus she determined to throw the best party ever for him, of course, with a little help from Niall.

Meanwhile, Harry was sitting in a coffee shop on campus, having no idea that his flatmate and best friend were secretly planning a surprise party for him. He had to study on a Sunday because there was an exam coming up, and he couldn't concentrate with Y/N breathing down his neck. She would either tell him stories he found no interest in, or nag him about doing chores and complain when he forgot. Harry didn't hate his flatmate, she could be fun occasionally. Sometimes when he'd had a bad day, listening to her dumb facts about whales during dinner actually boosted his mood. But that was just sometimes, most of the times, he found her annoying.

"Here's your drink."

The soft voice got Harry's attention, and his green eyes shifted up to see a pretty waitress. He'd come to this place many times before, but he had never seen her. He doubted he'd forgotten such an attractive human being.