HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: Bug and Hisses

(Flashback chapter:

Their first Halloween as flatmates)

There's only one week left until Halloween and Y/N has been waiting for that day from the first of October. Harry has been complaining about the creepy skeleton in their living room which an old neighbor left for them when she moved away. Y/N placed it there not only to give their flat some Halloween vibe but also to scare the kids who come trick-or-treating. However, all it's done so far is scaring the shit out of Harry whenever he comes home late.

"I should carry around with me a piece of paper saying 'Y/N did it' in case I die from a heart attack someday," he tells her as he walks out from the kitchen with his coffee mug and joins her on the sofa.

"How do you get scared every single time even though you know it's fake?" She asks while scrolling through Netflix on her laptop.

Harry squints his eyes at her in response. "You know those Halloween movies where a character approaches a ghost thinking it's either decoration or a man in a costume, only to find out it's really a ghost? Yeah that's not gonna be me."

Y/N stares at her flatmate in disbelief for a couple seconds before shaking her head and telling him, "you know what? Sometimes you're just weird."

"Thank you, baby." He grins and brings the mug to his lips. And despite knowing he's only joking with the nickname, Y/N cannot help but smile to herself.

She's had a crush on him for a while now. Ironically she used to think he would be the last person she would fall for, but here she is, heart-eyes for her annoying flatmate no matter what he does or says.

People may see Harry as a tough guy who's hard to approach, she knows he cries watching The Notebook every single time. They assume he doesn't care about anyone else but himself, she knows he keeps a photo of his mum and sister in his wallet. They think he's all about parties and one-night-stands, she knows he likes candles and homemade meals and staying in with a book on a rainy day. But then again, she also knows, no matter how much she thinks she knows him, she's never going to be the girl he ends up with.

"Have you heard of Alex's Halloween party?" Harry asks, receiving a nod from Y/N.

"Yeah, I've been invited actually."

"Wait, really?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, I didn't know you were friends with Alex."

"Why? Just because he's popular?"

"No, because the guy's a dick, and you're—" Harry pauses then suddenly clears his throat and changes the subject, "anyway, are you coming?"

"No."

"Why not?" Harry's trying his best not to sound too disappointed, because he doesn't want her to know he's secretly wanting them to go together, not as a date, but kind of like a date.

"I promised Jamie I'd take him trick-or-treating that night."

Harry raises an eyebrow at the girl. "Seriously? You're going to babysit on Halloween? Where's his mum?"

"She's got a date."

"You're gonna sacrifice your night-out so our upstairs neighbor can go on a date?" He puts one hand on her shoulder and looking at her deep in the eyes, trying not to laugh. "Y/N, you're not Halloween's Santa Claus."

Y/N shrugs his hand off her and rolls her eyes, resulting in a smirk on Harry's face as he realizes she rolls her eyes at lot when talking to him. "I barely know anyone at the party. Alex only invited me because I helped him with his essay, and you don't count because you never act like you know me in public."