33. Bite Plan

"The sacrifice happens tonight?" Riley asked, walking into the Salvatore house the next morning and being greeted by Stefan and Elijah.

"That's what Ric said," Stefan told her. "Klaus let him go."

"Oh, that was so nice of him!" she said sarcastically. "What's the plan?"

Stefan folded his arms, letting out a breath. "Elijah has an elixir that will resurrect Elena. During the transition, Klaus will be vulnerable. Bonnie will weaken him, and Elijah will kill him," he told her.

Riley raised an eyebrow. "So we're placing all of our hopes on a magical elixir, Bonnie, and Klaus's brother?" When neither of them responded, she frowned. "Please tell me there's a plan B?"

"I'm confident that plan A will be successful," Elijah asserted.

"OK, so where do you want me?" she asked. She didn't want to be anywhere near Klaus, but she couldn't go home and wait for news when so many things could go wrong.

"You're kidding right?" Stefan asked.

"Don't start with me," she warned him.

"Riley, surely I don't have to remind you of how important tonight is?" Elijah asked. "We can't afford for anything to go wrong, and that includes you being hurt."

Stefan tilted his head, seeming to hear something upstairs. Ignoring the conversation, he ran up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"I can't promise to stay home Elijah," Riley told him. "But I can promise to stay out of the way, away from Klaus. If you answer me honestly."

"Ask me anything," he said, looking at her with genuine curiosity.

"Can we trust you?" she asked. "I know you want to kill Klaus, but he's your brother. If this was Stefan and Damon, there's no way they could actually go through with it."

"Riley," Elijah said. She liked the way her name sounded with his accent. "Klaus isn't my only brother. I used to have a family. And Klaus has managed to take every single one of my siblings from me. I'm not killing Klaus tonight out of revenge, but out of necessity. So that I can live a life unclouded by misery and regret."

She was about to speak, when she heard shouting from upstairs.

"What's going on?" she asked him, benefitting from his vampire hearing.

Elijah sighed. "Damon fed Elena his blood."

Riley's eyes widened. "What?! How could he do that?"

"He doesn't want to lose her," he responded, annoyed. "He's rendered my elixir useless."

"So she's gonna be a vampire?" Riley asked, trying to take in the information. This couldn't happen, she couldn't be the only human going through this. "She can't be, not Elena."

They heard two sets of footsteps coming down the stairs. Damon left the house in a hurry, with Ric following him.

She rolled her eyes. "They're going to the Grill. I should go too."

"Damon has just proved how irrational he is right now. The last place you should be is with him," Elijah said, frowning.

Riley sighed. "Damon is irrational, but he's one of my best friends, and... I know how he thinks – I need to talk to him."

She walked towards the door, before turning back and smiling.

"I'll see you tonight," she promised.

He nodded, letting her leave. When he came to Mystic Falls in search of the mysterious doppelganger, he'd never expected to meet someone so human. She made him remember what it was like to live a life without immortality.