Chapter 3: And I him.

I slowly turn the door knob to avoid my mother hearing me enter the house. I succeed in not making a loud sound and quickly creep into the house then quietly shut the door.

"Where have you been?" A voice calls out from the dark.

Then I flick the light switch on the wall beside the door and the light reveals a furious dimwit also known as the prodigal son.

My brother.

"None of your business." I roll my eyes and head for the stairs.

"Where are you going? I'm still talking!"

"We'll talk tomorrow, Dad!" I reply rudely and slam the door shut after entering my room.

I heave out a sigh and throw myself on the comfort of my bed. 'Can't wait to leave this house,' I think to myself. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and Conner, but I cannot wait until I become independent and live in my own apartment. Luckily I only have to wait until graduation day, which is only next week. I want to move to New York, where I'll be joining New York University to do my medicine course.

A knock on the door slices through my dreadful thoughts and I mutter a 'come in' before lying on my stomach and burying my face under a pillow.

"Hailey?" Conner checks if I'm sleeping. "I know you can hear me." 

I raise my hand to wave.

"Look," he sighs and the corner of my bed dibs as he sits down. "I know I am not the best brother in the world, but," he sighs again. "— I still love you. I mean when I say that I have been thinking about you since I left. And I had to leave. To protect you."

"You could've told me." I peek out under my pillow to stare at his back. "I would've understood."

"That would've been too dangerous. Luther would've put your life in danger if he found out that you knew about him and his ways." He turns to look at me. "I couldn't risk that." Sincerity floats in his green orbs, the same colour as dad's.

"You could've returned earlier."

"I tried," he rests his elbows on his knees and runs both his hands through his sandy blonde locks. "It wasn't easy."

"Okay." That's all I can say at this moment. I understand the pressure that burdened his shoulders and that leaving Luther's group was difficult, but it still hurts that he left without a say. A simple 'I have to leave to protect you' would have sufficed.

"I'm sorry Hailey bear," he uses the nickname he gave me. "And I'm sure your boyfriend is too." He believes that Tristan and I did not break up, it is just a phase. He says that we might've broken up through words but our hearts are still attached.

"Goodnight, Conner." I say and try to hide the creeping smile threatening to show.

"Night, Squirt."

......................

"Hailey, your hot friend is here!" Conner yells behind the door. "And hurry up, you are ten minutes late."