CHAPTER FIVE: SEEKING

Vacating the bed as soon as the alarm went off, I stripped off my clothes and stepped into the shower, yawning. The memories of the latest happening still latched in my mind, etched on my heart. Deciding too early not to dwell on that for fear of breaking down as a tear already slipped down my cheeks mixing perfectly with the running water like two identical twins separated from birth and finally meeting each other for the first time in years, I concentrated on the positive aspect of life. In just few hours, I shall get my life back on track. I wrapped a towel around my body and another on my head for drying.

With two swift stride, I stood in front of my closet and deliberated on what to wear. Finally, I concluded to go for a black knee-length skirt, along with a red shirt coupled with matching sandal. After applying coconut oil, I threw on my attire, added brown powder to my face, Outlined the top of my eyelid using eyeliner, Stretched my eyelash with mascara, then turned my lips nude.

I gave a quick check of my watch to make sure I wasn't running late for the job hunting; slung my black portable handbag making certain to insert my certificate before heading out.

Checking in where I'd worked years back would be outrageously humiliating. Abandoning the option, I took a cab to Everis, grocery producing company located not more than a mile away. Liquid moistened my palms as soon as I dropped off and headed past through a giant black gate with the companies very reputable name engraved on a white broad iron board serving as means for advert. I demanded for the human resources and was informed straight away by the yours truly that there wasn't any job for me in the perfect company; reason because I was with a second class credential and not First Class. I left plastering a scrunched up nose that conveyed my disgust and the beginning of irritation.

Never giving hope, I tried for intercontinental world trust bank with hope of securing a job as a graduate of accounting. My lips pressed tightly at their own accord on my way out after receiving yet again another disappointing negative reply.
I had in the past secured my first job without stress. It seemed like the entire world was against me, now. My shoulders sagged in union with the sadness threatening to bury my existence in its endless depth.

Suddenly, I jumped a feet away, startled as a sound capable of challenging that of thunder, blared right into my ears sending my heart to my throat. Whipping my head to the side, I was shocked to realize that I had mindlessly walked majestically to the center of the busy road. My eyes widened on taking sight of the tons of cars rooted in place with their owners all glaring angrily at me behind the windshield.
Not able to get my voice, I whispered a sorry as I took to my heels away from the middle with several curses like: stupid bitch, witch, asshole, dingbat, sending me off.

Still, I didn't give up hope. Determined, I continued my search. Refusing to relent by giving up the job hunting for the day. Wasting the remaning hours at home with nothing tangible to do was like staring all day at a blank television. Depression might set in.

3:00 PM, I was still on it. My legs trembled in exhaustion under me. I felt sweat dribbling like a professional football player from on top my skull, down to my forehead. Bringing out my kerchief from my bag, I brushed it across my head with so much annoyance partially blaming it for the repetitive futile result. Winced when tiny stinging pain registered in my head as an after effect of my action. At that moment, regretted having dumped my first job. Technically, if I hadn't, I wouldn't have established the beauty salon that I was robbed of. Then-just then, a massive construction ahead of me came into view. Having some knowledge about the company and its successful operation, I felt nervous trying my luck in there. Reason unknown.

With each step I took towards it, my legs seemed to reduce its alacrity. After what felt like ages, I halted briefly five pace away to flex my shoulders to chase away stress before proceeding in. Looked to my side on hearing a whistled-call from a man. "Hey, pretty girl. What's the name?"