59. Threat

[Edited]

"You better drink that otherwise just pay me back already!"

I rolled my eyes at Jin, slowly stirring the hot chocolate I didn't even ask him to buy me in the first place. "How can someone so rich be the biggest cheapskate on the planet?!"

"Yah!" Jin snatched the warm mug out of my grasp with narrow eyes, forbidding me to take a sip at this point. "Look, I know you're going through a lot right now, but let this be a warning, I'm not afraid to kick your ass if I have to, Jungkook isn't here to save you," I winced at his ending words and Jin's face automatically fell.

"Sorry," he mumbled, looking down at the wooden table, the only thing separating me from smacking him upside the head.

I closed my eyes and sighed, leaning back in the booth as the conversation with Jungkook's mother consumed my thoughts for the hundredth time today. "It's fine."

"It's not fine, I'm a horrible best friend. I'm over here talking about him causally as if you two didn't-- " 

Lucky for me, he didn't finish.

For the first time, a small smile engraved itself upon my face, a sad smile only meant to ease Jin's worries, but better than nothing nonetheless. "You're an ass," Jin opened his mouth but I continued to silence him. "But you're the best ass I have."

"Wow, thanks. I feel really comforted right now," I could hear the sarcasm drowning in his words, but continued to pull my lips back into a fake grin as the memory consumed me once more.

I looked down, examined the ring still shining on my finger.

'At least one of us is... '

--

[Three weeks ago]

"I knew you'd be trouble the moment I saw you in those ratty clothes on my son's doorstep."

I watched as Jungkook's mother wandered around the room, one hand firmly behind her back, the other brushing down a long line of books packed neatly on the middle shelf on the vast library.

"E-excuse me?" I couldn't stop the nervous stutter in my voice. 

This was the first time I've been alone with the crazy devil woman without Jungkook there to be a comforting pole to lean on. I'm left feeling toppled over, already defeated and wishing for a miracle, for Jungkook to burst through the door and take me away from this hell.

She tsked, "Snooping in business that isn't yours, foolish girl." 

She dropped her hand as she reached the last book on the shelf, staring out into space in deep thought before turning a disturbing glare on my face. "You don't belong here, you don't belong with my son and you never will," her statement was curt, so persuasive for a moment I almost believed her myself.