Chapter 80

Kedar stared absentmindedly at the empty tea cup on the table. His basic curiosity about Prithvi’s past and his ‘family members’ had been satiated, with Adityaraj’s guard and friend readily replying to several questions. He had more questions, but those would doubtless be disconcerting for Sumer Singh. As it is, the man was deeply affected by the truth regarding Prithvi’s parents. Much more so than Prithvi himself…

It would be better if his remaining queries were put to Prithvi. The young man, however, hadn’t paid him any attention after the initial exchange. And twenty minutes ago, he had shut his books and left the room.

 “Bhoothnathji doesn’t know anything about Prithvi’s…background?” Kedar asked.

“No,” Sumer Singh said. “Prithvi has barred me from revealing it to anyone. He hates any mention of it.”

That was a departure from his parents’ attitude, Kedar thought. Both Adityaraj and Priyamvada had been insanely proud of their individual heritages, albeit in different ways. Adityaraj rarely revealed his royal lineage to people, but he’d enjoyed the attention and adulation that came his way from those who were aware of his stature in society. Priyamvada, on the other hand, had openly delighted in her exalted status in the social order, and automatically expected reverence from everyone she came across.

Bringing his queries closer to the present, he candidly said, “I’m still finding it tough to believe that Prithvi just happened to choose the college in Shamli and that you both came to live here... in Ayodhya…without knowing…”

“We found Ayodhya by lucky chance, but we came to Shamli because I’d read about the town in one of Aditya’s last letters to me,” Sumer Singh owned up. “I lost the correspondences years ago in the course of my travels. But when Prithvi received a letter from the college in Shamli….the name of the town…it struck a chord. Prithvi wasn’t interested in moving to this town, but I felt it was a sign from above. I really didn’t know if it was the same town Aditya had mentioned. So I could tell Prithvi honestly that I just felt it would be a good place.”

He chuckled and went on, “Prithvi didn’t believe me. But he accepted my request. Today, he questioned me again…and thanks to you, I could tell him the whole truth.” he expressed gratefully. There were more things he wanted to share with Prithvi about Adityaraj. And now he could do it without riling the prince.  “Prithvi told me you were a friend of Siddharth and that’s how you were acquainted with Adityaraj. If you don’t mind, can I ask…when and how did you first meet him?” he asked Kedar.

 “I met Aditya while he was staying in this very house,” Kedar smiled a little.

“He stayed here?”

At the abrupt question, Kedar looked at the door that led to the stairs. Prithvi had returned, and was standing immobile a few feet away.

“Four or five times I think,” Kedar said.

Prithvi silently walked to one of the snug armchairs and sank into it, feeling oddly disturbed.