twenty-three

Newt and Theseus, Tina and Jacob, Kama, Trinity, and Nagini all Disapparated out of the amphitheater

Newt and Theseus, Tina and Jacob, Kama, Trinity, and Nagini all Disapparated out of the amphitheater. The blue fire pursued them as they appeared in the cemetery. They were all covered in burns and soot.

Flamel arrived on the scene as the cemetery was on the verge of destruction. The fire
Grindelwald unleashed was out of control. It formed dragon-like creatures, bent on annihilation.

"Together!" Flamel shouted. "In a circle, your
wand into the earth, or all Paris will be lost!"

Newt, Theseus, Tina, Kama, and Flamel stuck their wands into the earth, shouting, "Finite!"

It took superhuman power to contain Grindelwald's demonic fire, but they fought against the flames. The group fought off the flames to their best, and at last, their purifying fire vanquished Grindelwald's fire back. The entrances to the underground lair were sealed. They saved the city.

Flamel was comforting Jacob, while Nagini sat alone in the darkness, broken-hearted. Trinity was leaning against a mausoleum, praying that nothing bad could happen more.

Newt shuffled over awkwardly to Theseus. He hesitated, struggling to find the correct words for what happened that night. Then, for the first time in his life, he wrapped his arms around his brother. Theseus hugged back. They continued to cherish the embrace before Newt pulled away.

"I've chosen my side," Newt said.

The two shared a loving moment. Trinity was watching with a small smile. Then, she noticed a black ball waddling. She gasped quietly and ran over to pick up the injured Niffler.

"Hi, babe," she whispered, smoothing down his fur. The Niffler was shivering, rubbing up against her chest. "You're okay. I've got you. Don't you worry your little body anymore."

Newt walked over to the pair. He cupped Trinity's hand that was petting the Niffler. "Are you two all right?"

The Niffler continued to rub against Trinity. She nodded.

"I'm all right, Newt," Trinity reassured, bumping her shoulder into his shoulder.

"I was so worried when you were taken away from me. I - I thought I - You were gone in a snap," blubbered Newt.

"But I'm here now," she reassured.

Newt smiled, then he noticed Grindelwald's vial in its paws. He took the pendant, amazed. Newt tucked both the vial and the Niffler inside his coat.

"What is it?" Trinity questioned.

He looked up at her with wide eyes. "Something that will change everything."

Dumbledore was walking across the viaduct from
Hogwarts toward Newt, Jacob, Tina, Theseus, Trinity, Nagini, Kama, Travers, and assorted Aurors, who stood at the other end. Newt walked ahead with Trinity to meet Dumbledore. Travers moved forward to stop him, but Theseus stopped him.

"I think it's best if they speak to him alone," Theseus said.

Newt and Trinity walked along toward Dumbledore. They met in the middle of the viaduct, across from each other and staring. Trinity had her arm looked around Newt's arm, looking at the man Newt admired so.

"You must be Trinity. It's a pleasure to meet you," Dumbledore greeted.

Trinity smiled at him. "It's a pleasure as well."

"I'm sorry we had to meet under such circumstances."

"Some things are meant to happen," Trinity said, looking up at Newt brightly.

He smiled at her, quickly pecking her forehead before anyone could remark on how that was braver than taking on Grindelwald. Then, he pulled out the vial, causing Dumbledore to be entranced by it.

"It's a blood pact, isn't it?" Newt asked. "You swore not to fight each other."

Ashamed, Dumbledore nodded. "How in the name of Merlin did you manage to get - ?"

The Niffler poked its head out of Newt's jacket, sad to see the pendant go.

"Grindelwald doesn't seem to understand the nature of things he considers simple," Newt said.

Dumbledore raised his hands to show the Admonitors. Theseus raised his wand, the Admonitors falling from Dumbledore's wrists. The vial - blood troth - hung in the air between them.

"Can you destroy it?" Newt asked.

"Maybe... Maybe." Dumbledore looked down at the Niffler. "Would he like a cup of tea?"

They turned to walk back toward Hogwarts as the Niffler shimmied out of Newt's pocket. The Niffler began sniffing the ground and running around.

"He'll have some milk," Newt said. "Hide the teaspoons," he whispered.

The others walked slowly after them.

"I'll meet up with you, all right?" Trinity asked Newt. "I have to talk to Tina for a second."

He gave her a suspicious look but nodded. "No fights."

She rolled her eyes and ran back to Tina. Tina smiled softly at the young siren, glad to call her a friend.

"Are you still going to teach me magic?" Trinity asked eagerly.

"I will try," Tina corrected.

"This'll be so much fun!" Trinity exclaimed.

Tina softly chuckled, seeing familiarities of Queenie in her. "It sure will be."