Chapter 20 (Part 1)

Chapter 20

*Aaron*

It's been almost a week since Victoria and got back together. It's been almost a week since I've been trying to figure out how to tell Grace the news. It's just my luck that right after Grace and I make this stupid deal, Victoria comes back to me. I'm sure Grace can put her feelings for me aside, but she'll be pissed about the Sophie and Victoria situation. While these last couple days with Victoria have been great, I can't help dreading having this conversation with Grace.

I wait in Central Park by the ice-skating rink as I try to prepare myself for this conversation. Grace and Sophie should be arriving any minute, and about thirty minutes after that, Victoria should be here. If everything goes well, we can all have a friendly outing together.

"Daddy!" I hear Sophie's voice. I look to see her running towards me with her arms extended. A large smile comes to my face as I crouch down to her level. She reaches me, and I pick her up in a tight hug as she wraps her arms round my neck. I place a kiss on her cheek and she laughs lightly.

"Hi sweetheart." I say. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Daddy. Guess what! Me and Mommy have a surprise for you."

"Really." I put her down and she takes my hand before pointing. I look and my blood runs cold, sending a chill up my spine. Grace walks towards me with her parents following close behind. They were not part of the plan.

"Grandma and Pop Pop are here too."

"That's... great." I force myself to say.

"Hi Aaron." Grace greets me. "Mom, Dad, you remember Aaron."

"Of course." Mr. Valentine says. "The boy who tried to tear our family apart."

"You're joking right?" I ask. "You accomplished that before Sophie was born. Throwing your daughter out on the streets and going on like she never existed."

"That's enough." Grace says. "Sophie is here." I look down at Sophie who looks between me and Mr. Valentine with wide eyes.

"Come on sweetheart." Mrs. Valentine says as she extends her hand towards Sophie. "Let's go get a pair of skates and get on the ice."

"Okay." Sophie says, taking her hand.

"Dad, go with them." Grace says. "Please."

Mr. Valentine gives me one final glare before following his wife and Sophie. I sigh, getting my frustration in check. I hate that guy, and I hate that he's in Sophie's life now.

"Aaron." Grace gets my attention. "I'm sorry I didn't warn you about my parents. I didn't expect them to tag along, but they want to spend as much time with Sophie as possible."

"It's fine." I say. "Perfect, actually. I need to talk to you about something important. Your parents can keep Sophie occupied for us."

Grace sits with me on a nearby bench so Sophie is still within our sights. I try to push back all the worse case scenarios about this conversation to the back of my mind. I need this to go well. I need everyone to be on the same page.

"What is it?" Grace asks, a slight look of concern on her face. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is great." I reply truthfully. "However, you probably won't think so."