Chapter 6

The pond Lafayette had chosen was one that was never truly used. It was hidden behind a grand row of trees. No one would spot them unless they were really looking for them.

She sat out what she had brought with her. Spreading the blanket before sitting on it, her dress willowing out around her. She began to pull out the little sandwiches that had been made, several different types of fruit and a small bottle of wine. She ran her fingers over the bottle of wine, swallowing nervously. The bottle was one that she had slipped from her father’s cabinet. A bottle that she hoped wouldn’t be missed.

The sound of bushes rattling caught her attention and she glanced up just as Nicholas made his way into the small closed off space. He met her eyes and a look of confusion crossed his face for a moment.

“I had a devil of a time finding this place.” He mumbled as he fixed his clothing, running a hand absentmindedly through his hair.

She watched him as he did it and couldn’t help but wonder if it felt as soft as it looked.

She smiled softly at him, beckoning him over. “Come sit beside me. This is supposed to be a romantic rendezvous, you know.”

He moved toward her but paused as he neared her. He glanced around suddenly, raising a brow in confusion. Where was her escort? He cleared his throat before asking that very thought, “Dear girl, where is your escort?”

She flushed, her stomach jumping in knots. She didn’t have an escort, that was the whole bloody point! To be alone with him… “Oh, my lady’s maid is nearby, no need to worry. Come sit and look at what I brought you.”

Nicholas made a face but he did as she said. He moved toward her and sat leisurely across from her. His wide shoulders and mop of brown hair made her sigh. He truly was a good looking man. And he would be hers soon enough. She grinned at him before offering him a sandwich, “Try it. I made it myself.”

He smiled back at her in return, his one dimple sinking into his cheek. “Thank you, love.” He took a bite and then proceeded to scarf the small finger sandwich down.

He reached for another and his enthusiasm made her heart flutter. Suddenly she was glad for her mother’s constant nagging about proper cooking etiquette. “So, Nicholas. Shall we begin?”

He suddenly paused, a nervous look on his face. “Of course. I am always eager to learn.”

“We can begin with a compliment. I am a lady after-all. Women like to be complimented and adored verbally.”

Nicholas tilted his head, before allowing his eyes to peruse her body. The deep brown of her gown seemed to make her skin glow and accented the brown of her eyes wonderfully. The curl of her hair as it played on the nape of her neck emphasized the elegance she possessed. An elegance he had never noticed until now. The soft smile on her face brought his eyes straight to the fullness of her plump lips. Something stirred in the pit of his belly. Desire.

He choked on his own saliva, coughing wildly. Lafayette gasped before reaching into the basket sitting between them and pulling out a bottle of wine. His eyes widened and he choked once more. Lafayette struggled to open bottle, yanking at cork with all her strength.

Nicholas started to take deep breaths before clearing his throat. His cheeks were a soft pink, embarrassment washing over him as the entire situation hit him. Good, God. He found the chit attractive. He couldn’t deny it to himself. But what he did know for sure was that she was off limits entirely.

He reached out, gently taking the bottle from her urgent hands. “Did you happen to bring a cork screw in that basket of yours?”

Lafayette’s eyes widened and then her soft brown cheeks flushed. She had completely forgotten that very item. It wasn’t often that she had a drink of any kind of spirits, so, it had truly slipped her mind.

“Oh, dear. I hate to say that…I didn-,” Nicholas suddenly laughed, throwing his head back, his short brown hair dancing around his ears as his body shook with the force of it.

Warmth spread throughout her body. The look of utter pleasure on his face, the laughter in his eyes, the sinking of his dimple. She had been the one to put that smile on his face and that amusement in his voice and it felt good. “It’s quite alright, darling, truly. I must admit, I’m having a wonderful time without the drink.”

The smile she graced him was one that took his breathe away. He sucked in air so swiftly he nearly choked. He cleared his throat, sitting the bottle down with strained fingers. This was starting to feel increasingly dangerous. “Enough about me. Why aren’t you married?”

Lafayette’s eyes widened in surprise but her smile stayed. Excitement exploded in the pit of her stomach. He was curious about her. “Well, I am young, you know?” She mumbled on upturned lips.

He raised a brow, “Women your age are married with babes by now.”

That remark got a laugh out of her. “You know as well as I do, that my father, well, make that all the men in my family, aren’t in much of a rush to wed me off. They haven’t fancied any of my suitors. They’ve hated them actually. The last man I had even remotely entertained before yo-,” she cut herself off, gasping, placing a hand over her mouth.

“Are you alright?”

“Oohh, oh, I’m fine, just lost my train of thought there for a moment. I tend to do that quite a lot.”

Nicholas chuckled, his eyes crinkling, “It’s quite alright.”

She sighed before clearing her throat once more, “As I was saying, I’ll get married when I’m good and ready.”

“You can’t tell me that no one has caught your eye?” Nicholas asked, tilting his head, innocence and pure curiosity visible on his face.

Suddenly Lafayette had the urge to grab the bottle of wine and toss it at his head. But instead she tilted her head in reciprocation, “Oh, there is someone I’ve wanted for a while now. But he hasn’t quite gotten the message. I’m getting rather anxious these days.”

Nicholas scoffed, “What kind of fool of a man are you after?”

She opened her mouth to shout, “You, you idiot!” but sighed instead, she had to go about this more delicately. “Well, you see. He’s rather close to…um, one of my cousins. And you know how protective they all are. I’m not sure how to approach him about my feelings. What do you suggest, you are a man after all…”

He tsked, running a hand through his hair absentmindedly, his face scrunching up in thought. “I couldn’t tell you what I suggest. Your father would kill me. And your mother, ha! I’d be cooked for dinner.”

“Oh, do tell me. I promise, no one else will ever know.”

He sighed before grinning, “Well, he’s a man, and men tend to think with one think.”

Her eyes widened, “What are you getting at?”

“You have countless rake’s in your family. A few sweet nothings and stolen kisses and erotic promises are sure to blind any red-blooded man.”

Lafayette’s heart began to pound. He was telling her to resort to seduction. She wanted to laugh, she was so amused. The irony of it all. “So, you think… a few stolen kisses and um, erotic promises, was it?”

He nodded, “What man could deny a beautiful woman with rakish words?”

“Well, the problem with that is, I haven’t the slightest clue how to do such a thing. I think a demonstration is in order.”

Nicholas blanched, “A demonstration? God, girl, you can’t be serious.”

“Oh, I assure you I am. I am my mother’s daughter, you know. I’d rather be taught than go blindly into the fire."