44

[Chapter forty-four]

-Nevaeh-

"Hey, Noah?" I call as I sit at the island, an untouched glass of apple juice in front of me.

"Yeah, Carter?" He answers, still rummaging through my fridge.

"You don't have any classes today, do you?"

He shuts the fridge and turns around to look at me. "No, why?"

"Can we go see your mum and Danny?" I give him the puppy eyes.

He chuckles. "Of course."

I grin, getting up. "Great."

"Aren't you going to drink that?" He gestures down to the glass of apple juice.

I shake my head. "I don't want it. You drink it."

"Carter—"

"I'm not thirsty." I cut him off, walking to my room to change out of my pyjamas.

I hear him sigh before I shut the door and frown.

Sorry, Noah.

*~*

"VAEH!" Danny shouts, latching himself to me.

"Boy, you've gotten tall, the hell?" I laugh, looking at the eleven year old who stands just below my collar bone.

"Your eyes are so blue." He gapes as he stares up at me.

I chuckle. "Your accent is so British."

"I missed you, Vaeh." He hugs me again.

I ruffle his hair. "I missed you, too, shortie."

I look up at Mrs King, who gives me a warm smile, but her eyes tell me she knows.

I glance at Noah who thankfully gets the hint.

"Danny, how's about we go upstairs and you can show me how much better you've gotten at playing the guitar?" Noah suggests casually.

"Sure!" Danny grins as he runs upstairs, Noah following closely behind.

I give Mrs King a soft smile.

"Hey, Mrs Ki—Tanya." I smile sheepishly, making her laugh softly and shake her head.

"Exactly the same as two years ago." She mumbles to herself before holding her arms out to me. "Come here."

I grin as I walk into her embrace, hugging her tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too, sweetheart." She kisses my head before pulling away and giving me a sad look. "We need to talk."

I sigh as she leads me over to the couch and we sit down. "I—"

She cuts me off. "How long?"

I bite my lip and look down, knowing what she meant. "Not long."

She sighs and pulls me into another hug. "I love you so much, hun. Don't ever forget that."

I hug back, feeling a tear roll down my cheek. "I love you, too, Tanya."

We sit there, hugging until Danny runs downstairs, Noah in tow.

"Danny, wait!" Noah nearly trips down the stairs. "Fudge!"

He still doesn't swear around Danny.

Mrs King and I pull away.

I look at him with a raised eyebrow. "Fudge?"