50 {Epilogue}

[EPILOGUE]

-Third Person-

"Pebble...?" Nevaeh mumbles, trying to sit up.

Noah scrambles to help her sit up, doing the best he can not to hurt her. "Yes, Carter?"

Nevaeh reaches over to the plastic bag that Megan had brought in earlier and pulls something out.

"Marry me?" She questions.

Noah's eyes widen, his eyes stinging.

"I never thought I would ever love someone as much as I love you. You...what do people call it? Make fireworks explode when you kiss me? Release a zoo of wild animals in my stomach? I don't fucking know. You make me feel all weird and fuzzy inside. You've got your whole life ahead of you—"

Noah cuts her off when he realises where her speech is headed. "Carter, stop—"

"Shut up and listen to me, boy!" Nevaeh cuts him off. "You need to move on. But that's not the point. I can actually say that you're the love of my life since I'm leaving today."

"Don't say that." Noah cuts in yet again, his eyes watering.

She ignores him, her eyes getting glassy. "We've had our ups and downs. I regret leaving but I had no choice. I left and you hated me—"

"I never hated you, Carter." Noah whispers. "I could never hate you."

Nevaeh smiles slightly, bringing a hand up to his face and running a thumb over his dimple. "I can honestly say that you made the last four years the best years of my life, even though I was in New Zealand for two of them. And I am so, so grateful to have met you."

She pauses, coughing into her hand, a bit of blood coming out.

She tries to hide it but Noah sees.

"Carter..." he grabs a tissue from the side tray and wipes her hand before throwing the bloody tissue in the bin.

She takes a deep breath before carrying on. "You make me so happy. I never thought I'd be happy after Heaven and Lucy, but then you walked into my life, just like in a movie. Seriously, when I first saw you, it was like Mean Boys or something."

Noah chuckles as Nevaeh grabs his hand.

"So, Pebble," she starts, holding up a red ring pop. Only Nevaeh. "Marry me and be my husband for the next three hours or so?"

Three hours.

Noah gives her a dimpled smile. "Of course, Carter."

Nevaeh gives him a dimpled smile right back and slips the ring finger onto his pinky seeing as it wouldn't fit on any other finger.

She reaches over and wraps her arms around his neck and places a kiss on his lips. "I love you, Pebble."

Noah wraps his arms around her waist, placing a kiss on her temple before hugging her to his chest. "I love you, Carter."

*~*

A soft knock on the door makes Nevaeh look up from playing with a sleeping Noah's hair and to the door where her aunt is peeking her head in.

"Hi, Aunty." Nevaeh whispers croakily.

Mila smiles sadly as she walks over and kisses her niece's head. "Kia Ora, Aroha."

She sits down in the seat on the other side of the bed and Nevaeh clears her throat before speaking.

"I never really got to say thank you," she starts, grabbing Mila's hand. "So, thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for looking out for me and thank you for stopping me from shoving a metal fork in the toaster. Thank you so much."