Chapter 16

His smug look slowly transitioned into a smirk.   

"Ah, so I'm the problem." He said, his voice becoming sultry and almost lust stricken.

I spun my chair around and faced my computer, my blush still growing. "Fuck you." I murmured.

"I bet you want to." He said, right next to my ear. 

I gave a noise of distress and he gave me a smooth laugh. He moved away from me and started for the door. I heard him pause in the doorway and turn to face me once more. 

"Meet me on the roof for lunch. We can talk about the whole house situation." He said, leaving thereafter. 

I didn't respond and I heard the latch of the door click. My face was still flush and I began to rub it. I groaned out in distress and annoyance. 

'I told myself no, yet here we are.' I thought, looking back up at my computer screen. 'I'll just have to reinforce that no.'

I sighed and began to click away at my computer, sending out a few emails and checking the surveillance cameras. As I was going about my normal business, Nezu came over my walkie-talkie. 

"Please meet me in my office, Ms. (L/n). I would like to go over the events of yesterdays attack with you and Mr. Yamada." He spoke, sounding crackly because of the system. 

"Of course I have to be in the same room as him again." I mumbled, picking up my radio. "Will do, sir. I'll be there in five." I responded, clipping my radio to my belt. 

I groaned and stood, making my way up to the principles office. I let my mind drift as I walked, letting it graze over things I would say to get myself out of awkward situations if I had to. I stopped at Nezus door, taking a quick breath before turning the handle. I pushed the door open and was greeted by the two men, seemingly having a pointless conversation as they waited on my arrival.  

I waved at the two and Nezu motioned for me to sit in the chair next to Mic. I begrudgingly took the seat without showing it. There was a moment of awkward silence before I said anything. 

"So, you wanted to talk about the attack, correct?" I said, shifting uncomfortably in my seat as I felt both sets of eyes on me.

After a moment, Nezu nodded. "Yes, would you mind going over the details of what happened and how you knew about it?" 

I nodded. "Sure. Well, I was waiting on Mic to finish some work of his so we could both take off. As I was sitting in wait, I heard something out of the ordinary between the usual noises of the school after hours and the noises we were making. So, I told Mic to grab a radio and I went to investigate. As I was explaining what I thought was going on, someone jammed our communication, which is probably why the alarms never went off. 

"As I came upon the scene of the villains hauling something in the doors, Mic came down the other set of stairs and almost put himself in their direct line of fire. I managed to push him out of the way in time and we ran off, losing them inside the school. We stayed together and took them out in small groups, keeping close so we didn't run the risk of being alone. Once all the small groups had been taken out, we went to deal with the head honcho of the operation on the basement floor. 

"This was when we noticed they had been hauling in C4, and the leader of the villains had the detonator in hand. He wasn't afraid to take us, him, and his men out if he had to. I have no clue why they wanted to blow up the school, but I didn't really have the time to ask, either. With some quick thinking and fast action, we were able to take them out and save the school from being obliterated by the fifty pounds of C4 they had with them." I explained, keeping everything as brief as I could. 

"And she was shot." Mic chimed in at the end. 

I felt my face scrunch up as Nezu looked over at me. "You were shot?" He asked, raising a nonexistent eyebrow. 

I sighed and nodded. "Yes sir." 

"Where is the injury?" He asked, leaning forward in his seat. 

"The back of my calf, sir." I responded. \

"And you failed to mention this, why?" He asked, giving me a semi amused look. 

"Because the information did not seem pertinent to the point." I said, my eyes locking with Nezu. 

"Ms. (L/n), you were shot. How is that not pertinent?" He asked. "If I would have known, I would have sent you home." 

I shook my head. "Even if you sent me home, sir, I would still be here. I have a school and students to watch over. I'm here for protection, and that's exactly what I did and what I will continue to do. Injury or not." I said, my gaze not leaving his. 

He had a look of shock on his face and I could feel Hizashis eyes on me as well. I looked between the two of them and raised an eyebrow. 

"What?" I asked, my eyes flicking between the two. 

"I'm surprised that you take this as seriously as you do. Any other hero would play this off as a joke and wouldn't take any of the precautionary measures that you do." Nezu spoke. 

Hizashi nodded. "I don't think I've ever met someone with your amount of drive. Simply for protecting the school." 

I gave them both a weird look. "Well, this is what I'm paid to do. Not only that, but I'm a hero. I take this job very seriously because it's very serious. This building holds the next generation of heroes for this world. I will see to it that I protect every student in this facility, even if I die trying." I responded, my voice rather nonchalant. 

Nezu looked at me with amazement. "That is the spirit of a true hero. Congratulations, Ms. (L/n), you just earned yourself a pay raise." He said, offering me a hand.

I gave him a bewildered look and cautiously took his hand. "Wait, you're giving me a raise for doing my job?" I questioned, confusion prominent in my voice. 

"You do more than that. You protect this school with your all and don't rest until you're sure that every thing is safe. You go above and beyond, and that's why I'm giving you a raise." He said, situating himself in his seat again. 

I was at a loss for words. I just gave him a confused smile and shook my head. 

"Well, that was all I needed from you two. You are both dismissed to return to your daily duties. I will see you around the school!" He said. 

We both nodded and stood from our chairs. We went to the door and Mic let me out and I nodded a silent thank you to him. I reached the corridor and was headed for my office again when Mics voice caught me. 

"You really do a lot for this school, huh?" He asked, his tone soft and caring. 

I turned and nodded at him, raising an eyebrow. "Well of course I do. I have lives to protect. This job isn't one that can be taken lightly. I just don't understand how anything that I'm doing is any different than what any other hero would do. It's part of the hero code to ensure you can protect the lives of those in your care or custody. And everyone and everything in this school is under my care. Any other hero would do the same thing I would." I said with a shrug. 

He crossed his arms and shook his head. "No, they wouldn't. You do more for this school than most any other hero would. If any other hero had been given your job, they would be doing the bare minimum, just to ensure they get a days pay. But you do more than that. You don't see it now, but you will soon. Your efforts will pay off." He said, turning and walking away. "I still want you to meet me on the roof for lunch. We can talk more then!" He said, waving a hand over his shoulder as he walked away.

I sighed and went back to my office, letting the words of both Nezu and Mic drift about in my mind. It was hard for me to believe that what I was doing was any different than any other hero. I just don't see the difference in character. I was pretty excited for the pay raise though. 

I sat back at my desk with a sigh, resuming my daily responsibilities. Upon checking the cameras, I didn't see anything unusual. Empty halls, the occasional kid at his locker, and class 1-A at ground beta, doing some quirk and strength training.