Part Three. Chapter Eight. Alex

I'm a little shocked at myself, I didn't know I was capable to such jealousy. I mean I envied girls being able to flirt and touch Marcus when we were at school and I disliked it when Jenny could openly comfort him and hold his hand and kissed him, but I never hated those girls nor his mate. I just wanted to be in their place. But as the week progressed and I had to watch more women coming on to Michael, I could only see green (metaphorically speaking, by the way.)

The Fey intern was just the first to approach Michael. I mean, seriously, he was sitting here with me, his mate and while I suppose technically that we hadn't publicised this or anything, it's rude right? The younger nurses often ogled over him as he went on his rounds, but they had already heard a rumour that he was taken, so just labelled him as eye candy and I was more or less okay with that. I could just grit my teeth and work out any frustrations on the floor with my mop. Dammit!

Michael had a few night shifts to work in a row, but as it happened, I was scheduled to work evenings and had even picked up a few hours extra. I hadn't officially agreed to them, my supervisor assumed that I would be alright with them as I normally do take them, that and I felt guilty about taking so much time off the week before. But one evening, not five minutes after Michael started work, a Doctor, whose stethoscope just happened to sit between the crevices of her carefully pushed up cleavage, began pawing his arm with perfectly manicured fingers and asking him in he had five minutes to discuss that 'thing.' He agreed and lead her to his office.

What time do you want me to pick you up? - Tiger (That's how I listed him on my phone, I know, not very original.)

Was thinking of just heading to my apartment. I'm exhausted.

My apartment was just a fifteen minute walk from the hospital. But really, I didn't want to go and lie on his and Michael's bed, in his house after witnessing that, even though Eric would be there.

Okay. I'll meet you there x - Tiger

He arrived just ten minutes after I got home and wrapped me into his arms the moment I opened the door for him. How did he know that I needed this? His lips were on mine before we shut the door and he carried me through the hall whilst expertly devouring my mouth and leaving me breathless. He made me feel petite, which is a feat in itself, but not in a bad way, just in a protected and safe sort of way. He didn't release me until we were both sprawled out on my sofa.

"Now are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Eric asked, as he pulled his body off on mine.

I grabbed a particularly fluffy cushion and picked at the fabric. "Nothing is wrong," I lied, but he reached for my jaw and tilted my head so I had to meet his eyes. "Really, it's probably nothing, I'm probably reading too much into it."

"Tell me," he insisted, his baritone sending a shiver down my spine.

I suddenly felt embarrassed by my jealous thoughts and buried my face into the cushion as I explained; "The women at the hospital keep flirting with Michael." Though it probably sounded more like; "Er wee-ween a'er 'o-pi-al eep firring wi' I-kal ."

Somehow, Eric managed to understand me. He tugged down the cushion until he could see my eyes peering over it. "The first time I ever encountered a woman approaching Michael, I wanted to tear out her hair extensions," he admitted. "It didn't matter to me that he was my mate and that the goddess had paired us, she was trying to take my man! Apparently, he felt the same as me, though in his case, he wanted to go full wolf and break his neck."

"Him?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Yes, ha ha," he blushed and glanced away. "I may or may not have fooled around with that person before I met Michael. You know, once or twice."

"Oh?" I teased, admittedly I didn't like the idea that Eric and Michael had pasts, but so did I... if you can count a long term crush. Because our mating was threefold, I didn't feel any jealousy knowing Michael and Eric were intimate with each other, though I envied them just a little, wishing that I had been a part of that.

"That's not the point!" Eric snarled slightly as I giggled. He took his revenge out on my ribs, tickling my sides for a minute until my laughter turned into gasps as I struggled to inhale oxygen into my lungs. He held be against him for a moment then nuzzled into my neck and stroked my back beneath my T-shirt. His palms left burning trails upon my skin and I had to swallow back a groan. "You are our mate, not the girls and boys that make idiots of themselves trying to catch our attention. We only want you."

I pushed myself deeper into his embrace. "Thank you."

*****

Unfortunately, my feelings only settled so much.  The lady Doctor, who I found out began working at the hospital at about the same time Michael did, albeit in another ward, came to speak with him a couple more times, during the periods our schedules had us working in geriatrics for an hour or two together.  She seemed professional enough, but I didn't like the fact that she would occasionally touch his arm.  She did not need to be so touchy feely in my opinion.

Near the end of my Friday shift, I spent a little time with Clara, a sweet lady, who had tripped over one of her many cats and fractured a bone in her leg.  After it was set in plaster, she was placed in geriatrics until some home help could be arranged for her care as she lived alone and her closest family were currently abroad for work placements. 

In the same ward was Harry, who was waiting for a liver transplant.  His condition had deteriorated a couple of days ago, but he was doing okay and should be alright for the transplant so long as a liver could be found in the next few weeks.  Harry was currently being visited by a few family members, including a pretty, sunny faced girl with blond curls and an upbeat manner.  She was clearly a favourite relative as far as the old man was concerned; his face lit up when she laughed and smiled.

Michael came in to ask how Clara and the others in the ward were doing, checking the clipboards at the ends of the beds and making small talk or jests with each person.  "Oh, if only I was thirty years younger," Clara said.  I laughed along with her as she added; "My Francis was not half as manly.  But I can't say I married him for his muscles.  No, I married him as he could cook a delicious Coq au Vin."

"I'll let you in on a secret," I murmured as Michael reached Harry's bed.  "Doctor Haze cannot cook."  Eric had removed him from the kitchen for burning a tin of baked beans.  They had almost completely fused to the bottom of the pan.  I don't think that even I, with all the cleaning skills I had developed, could have removed them.

"Well, we can't be brilliant at everything," Clara sighed, before a frown appeared upon her face.  "Such a shameful thing, throwing herself at him like that.  Who does she think she is fooling?"

I didn't see what actually happened.  All I saw was the girl clinging to Michael, complaining about her ankle hurting.  I noticed she was wearing fairly lengthy heels, that could rival those of Sylvie.  Was it a coincidence that she happened to falter upon them just as my mate happened to be there?  Clara didn't seem to think so and neither did I.  I quickly apologised to Clara, said it was time I headed home, before I went to grab my things.

I'll be heading to my apartment for the night.  I have an early shift tomorrow.

I sent to text to Eric and Michael, before walking home.  I knew I should try and think the way that Eric suggested, I was their mate, I was the one they wanted, not those people who kept throwing themselves at them.  But it was getting too hard.  I thought once I opened my heart to these two men, that all would be wonderful; sunshine and rainbows.  Yet all I kept feeling was jealousy, hatred and anger.  I knew I would feel the same if Eric was in the same situation, after all, pretty women and cute boys probably went to his gym all of the time.  I needed a break from it, maybe from them... it hurt me to walk away, but it hurt more to keep seeing Michael with some bitch on his arm.