LVIII

My one mistake was that I never let you down
So I'll waste my time and I'll burn my mind
I'm Miss Nothing, I'm Miss Everything
~ The Pretty Reckless, Miss Nothing

Avril's POV

"I hope this was a great trip." Marcus pulls me close to him and squeezes me in his arms as we enter the airport, "please come back, I've missed my big sister."

"Thank you for showing me around here, it means a lot to me that you took the time to show us something you care deeply for. I'm sad I didn't get to meet any of your friends though."

"Probably for the best, they would have swarmed you and Kai." Marcus laughs as he lets me go and steps back, shoving his hands in his pockets, something he does when he is nervous.

"I think we would have been fine, but if you say so." Kai says as she bumps her shoulder against Marcus', "I can't believe I have to go back to Boston and you get to go to LA; how is that fair? Not to mention you'll be ringing in the New Year there too and I'll probably be alone at home watching the ball drop."

"Sucks to be you," Marcus comments and takes a step away from Kai as she goes to take a swing at him.

Such a violent girl.

"You'll have Mason and his twin." I grab her arm as people start to stare at us, making sure to keep my head down so no one can see my face.

Ever since I joined the band on tour, I don't know who will recognize me and take my photo.

It got worse after Scar left for her treatment. She sounded so much better when I was talking to her on the phone, she seemed almost happy, but maybe that isn't the word. She sounded more like the bubbly girl with blues coloured through her hair rather than the girl using people for her own gain.

"No, they won't be back from Puerto Rico until the third." Kai pouts, "I have no other friends."

"What about that Cody girl, the one your parents always talked about?" Marcus questions.

"She's living with her aunt in some town in Cali."

"Oh?" Both Marcus and I look at each other with the same look; trouble.

I remember all the stories about the girl and how much of a terror she was to the other students, the last straw was her dad finding coke in her locker.

"Well, maybe your parents will be home?" I know for a fact that is a shot in the dark.

"Nope, mom is working and dad is at a work thing I already turned down, my only option is your brother."

"You have other friends, shithead, like Aria and Naila." Marcus rolls his eyes at Kai as she forgets to mention her two best friends beside Mason's twin Addy.

"Oops."

"I'm telling Naila." Marcus has a smug look on his face as he starts to pull his phone from his pocket.

"Why, and she is visiting her family in South Africa, stupid."

"Because she thinks I'm hot and even better, our time zones will be closer."

"Knock it off you two, we have to go check our luggage now." I roll my eyes at the two of them; Kai has always been more of a sibling to us then Anthony ever was.

There was probably a time when the three of us were close, but once Anthony hit thirteen he started taking more interest in my father's work and wanted less to do with us.

He used to run around the house yelling at the top of his lungs that he was heir to Lexington Construction and it didn't stop until he was at college.

If I remember his roommate the second year came to Thanksgiving dinner, as he wasn't able to leave school to see his family out of state. He pulled me aside and asked if it was normal for Anthony to brag so much about the family, we had a good laugh as I told him it was and threw in some stories for him to use later on Anthony.

They didn't last long as roommates after that, oops.

"Thanks again." I pull my brother in for one last hug for who knows how long, "I'll try to come and visit soon."

"Better be with Fallen Angels on tour." I laugh and take a step back so Kai can give Marcus a hug.

"Safe trip guys, I love you both!" He yells as we join the line for checked luggage.

"Want to get a coffee? I think I see a Starbucks up ahead." I say once we have passed security and are making our way to the gate, "we have an hour before boarding."

"Sure, I want to grab some snacks before we board. Do you think Mason will like the gift I got him?"

"The drinking horn you got him?" I ask as I hike my bag on to my shoulder, shuffling through it to find my journal.

"Yeah? I know he doesn't really drink but he doesn't shut up about that TV show, Vikings, and he doesn't know that that we went to the area where they filmed it. I made sure to get a ton of photos for him, so if one day we travel to Dublin we can go and tour it if that is something he wants to do." Kai starts to ramble.

It's cute seeing her worrying about whether her boyfriend will like it or not.

"Kai, he is going to love it because you put it a lot of thought and effort into it and not only that, the boy doesn't shut up about that show. He's always watching that show when we facetime."

"Stupid history buff."

~*~

The plane is quiet as it is early morning and most of the people in first class are busy working on business projects or trying to catch up on sleep while their phones can't reach them.

Kai is fast asleep beside me with her headphones in and a pillow squished against her chest.

Music plays softly in my ears as I try to catch some sleep before we reach Boston, but my self-doubts are louder than the purr of the engines telling me we are still in flight.

It happens sometimes and I can't stop it.

All the things ever said to me play through my head, all the hate splashes against my body.

By family and friends; people I thought were there to build me up, but all they did was tear me down.

Except for Erik, I never let him down or maybe I did.

No, I didn't.

I try to fight back against the knives in my mind as they dig holes in my confidence.

I burn everything that has been said to me, I'm miss everything, not miss nothing and it's time I realize that.

I don't need validation from others, not anymore.

The only person's opinion that matters is my own, not my mom's, Will's, Anthony's, Dad's, not even Erik's.

It's time I started to realize that.

I look down at Dublin and realize that was Marcus was right; Dublin is an eye-opener.

I finally know my worth and maybe I finally know who I am.

Miss nothing, miss everything.

Quick author's note, the update schedule has changed. Every Thursday and Saturday there will be new chapters posted unless I post otherwise (ex. work or exams). This chapter was long overdue as I barely posted during the break which I am sorry about, I had a lack of motivation after having a brutal exam period and wanted a break from writing, but I am back now! Thank you, everyone, for voting and enjoying my work, I am so grateful for you all.

Character art by beforehours
Edited by GirlReader133