Chapter Twenty Four

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Twenty Four

"Alright everyone!" I jolt awake unexpectedly when Coach booms his voice down the bus

"Alright everyone!" I jolt awake unexpectedly when Coach booms his voice down the bus. A headache begins to grow. "I want you all to grab your bags from under the bus, and wait at the side until I have the keys, then I will read who is sharing rooms."

The four hour trip became exhausting the moment I felt my head growing worse. I'd forgotten to take painkillers, so I thought I'd sleep it off.

Students had been chatting loudly, some of the boys tossed basketballs around, and Coach could be heard sharing terrible jokes around with the boys surrounding him.

Being locked in such a confined space with a bunch of Lacewood students is something I definitely do not enjoy. It gave me more reasons to shut my eyes and press my side to Hunter's so I was comfortable.

Now that I'm awake, I see the bus is parked in the motel parking lot. My stomach bubbles with excitement. Today is the first day of my performance with the cheerleading team.

"Seriously, Hunter?" William sticks his head between the seats and stares at the brown haired boy beside me. "You ate all the skittles! I only got two!"

"You took your time eating them, and I was hungry." Hunter defends himself with a shrug and stands from the seat once all the other students start clearing the bus.

"I wouldn't be complaining, Will. I didn't get any." I didn't know my best friend packed skittles, but I'm not surprised. They're his favourite treat.

Hunter holds his arms up in surrender. "You were asleep! I wasn't going to shove them down your throat when you were unconscious! I didn't want to wake you."

I laugh loudly when Hunter's face turns guilty. I stretch my legs then stand to join the boys, finally following them down the bus isle. "It's fine. I don't even like skittles."

"You don't?" He says through an inhale, his voice laced with disbelief and he places a hand over his heart- as if I had wounded him.

I shake my head and carefully walk down the stairs. "The only sweets I like are chocolate and jolly ranchers- the blue ones mainly. You should know after you stole my blue ones." I still have a grudge against him for that. "You owe me a packet."

"Listen up everyone!" Coach walks back to the small hoard of students with a bunch of keys dangling in his hand. "There's forty of you, which means there will be three to four people in a room."

"I'm guessing the basketball team are going to be the ones with the luxury of only three people?" I mutter to William who nods in agreement, knowing his Coach well enough to see his decision.

"Or even just the guys. The girls might get four to a room." He quietly says back.

Coach starts reading out the names and room numbers- proving William's point that the boys have three people per room, and the girls with four.