Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

By the beginning of August, I have managed to complete a second working prototype. I managed to increase the sensitivity of the metal even further, by developing a coating made from another metal. The power source can comfortably power an apartment without any outside influence. I have taken some extra precautions and built a case around the box out of bulletproof glass. The unstable manner of this metal makes me nervous considering it will be in such close proximity to civilians. It's one thing if it is my lab, it is another thing if it is in someone's house. I don't think it will ever explode but you can never be too careful.

"Hey, Avi," Alexander's voice rings out from the doorway. I spin around and see him chilling on the door frame.

"Hey Xander," I say back.

"What are you working on now?" He asks coming over to my work station. I stand in front of it trying to see casual.

"I'm just tweaking the power source," I say with a smile.

"I can see a boot behind you, Avi," he says amused.

"I'm trying to take the science that powers a generator and turn it into a boot that can propel someone off of the ground. I calculated the amount of power it would take to hold two hundred pounds suspended and I had some scrap materials. I'm still building them, but you never know, I just might make the first self-sustaining jetpack boots," I say with a shrug. Alexander looks slightly shocked.

"I can work on something else if you don't approve," I say worried. Would he consider that a waste of company resources?

"No, keep working on it!" He says

"Okay," I say with a shrug before I go back to working on them.

"I actually came here for a reason, not just to make witty banter with you," Alexander says pulling up a seat across the table.

"Oh, I thought you came here just to hear yourself talk," I reply sarcastically, and he rolls his eyes.

"Do you remember how we submitted your project idea to the Postcard Lottery Green Challenge last month?"

"Yes,"

"Well the final five nominees were announced this morning," he says trying to get me to pay attention.

"Please Alexander, enlighten me on the brilliant souls who were selected," I say dramatically.

"Somebodies in a playful mood," Alexander muses and it is my turn to roll my eyes.

"I'm waiting," I say with a smile.

"You were the first one on the list Aviva," he says, and my head whips up.

"You are kidding," I say shocked.

"I'm dead serious Aviva! You are going to have the chance to win a lot of money for yourself and your project," he says, and I jump out of my seat. Excitement courses through me and I buzz with energy.

"Camila, Cathleen, and I will all accompany you to the competition. You will have to miss some school for it because it is on September 1st," he says, and I bob my head, that wouldn't be a big deal, I don't think my teachers would object.

"Are you excited?" He asks smiling at me with a grin that could have split his face in half.

I can't help the little squeal that I let out as I start jumping up and down. I don't know how else to release the excitement coursing through me. I do a round off across my lab before doing a front layout back. I hear Alexander laughing at my burst of excitement.