Chapter 8- Waiting

When Marinette and Adrien entered the room, both teens froze to see that it was empty, save for Nathalie, who was standing near his father's chair. He raised an eyebrow at Marinette but she simply bit her lip nervously in return, folding her hands in front of her.

"Nathalie, this is M-"

"Marinette." She finished, nodding her head with a stern look. Marinette smiled at her and nodded back, understanding that it was the way that she greeted people.

"How do you know?" Adrien asked.

"She's been here before, Adrien. Several times, if I remember correctly." Nathalie responded, clutching her clipboard she'd been holding against her chest.

"Oh, alright..." He said nervously. He never told Nathalie or his father that it was a girl who was coming to the house. His father hadn't met Marinette except for a few times before. He's caught him looking at her designs before, but never has he had a one on one conversation with her and himself. He smiled nervously at Nathalie.

"You never told me that you were bringing a girl here," Nathalie said. Adrien felt embarrassed as Marinette turned to look at him, clearly confused.

"Um, well you forgot to tell him that I was even bringing a friend in the first place, Nathalie," Adrien said, hinting that his father was going to be mad at both of them.

Nathalie nodded, appreciating Adrien's direct comment.

"Speaking of my father, where is he?"

Nathalie looked up at the clock. "He's running behind. We can take a seat and I'll bring snacks."

"Thanks, Nathalie." Adrien smiled and took a spot towards the middle of the table, ushering Marinette to sit beside him. She blushed and took her spot, pulling her purse onto the table so that Tikki could see what was going on. Marinette knew that Tikki wanted to be a part of her life as much as possible, and even if that was in secret, Tikki had been hidden her entire life. For a chance to see what Marinette does every day so clearly, it was the chance of a kwami's lifetime.

Nathalie had left the room and returned with some fruits and vegetables. She picked out the ones that Adrien was allowed to eat and gave the rest to Marinette. They thanked her and she left the room once again after getting a phone call. Adrien sighed and stared at his plate.

"I had to make a meeting with my own father and he doesn't even show up." He complained, picking up a piece of celery and twirling it around with his fingers.

"Well," Marinette said, placing her fork down for a second. "I'm sure he has a good reason."

Adrien sighed even louder and stuck the vegetable in his mouth, chewing slowly. Marinette had grown comfortable around Adrien and gave him silent support.

"Just remember.." She whispered, "Your father loves you. Even if he doesn't show it."

She paused to look at him. Adrien turns to face her, as she reaches for his hand.

"Because,"

Marinette barely realized how close she was to Adrien right now. It's how she acted every time someone needed help. He felt alone and unwanted. She didn't want anybody to feel like that. She grabbed his hand and squeezed, waiting for him to return the gesture.