Chapter 4. The Marriage

Make your goal to create a marriage that feels like the safest place on earth.

~Greg Smalley

Ariana's POV

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The beautiful white wedding gown emphasised my curves well, It was body fitting in the top and the lower part represented a fish cut. My chestnut hair was styled at the front while the rest of my hair was left free which was a little longer than the shoulder length. My face was powdered with talcum and pink rose petals were crushed and applied on my lips and a bit on my cheeks.

I sighed. I agree, I looked pretty but do I really want to do this? Do I really want to get married to a heartless man like prince Daniel?

It's not like I have an option. I'm completely powerless here.

A tiny part of me actually expected my mate to show up and stop all this. But then, I could never expect something from my worthless life. For all I know, my mate must be happy to get rid of me.

I wanted to cry out in frustration and helplessness. I have always been like this. Helpless and Useless.

A huge part of me wanted to end this misery and give up on everything but I couldn't do that. I couldn't choose the path my mother chose for herself to end her life leaving me to suffer the aftermath.

I had promised myself to never shed a tear because of anyone and that is exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to stay strong even if hell breaks.

With that encouraging thought in my head, I exited my room and made my way to the main hall of the castle.

I didn't know why I was dressed up so much since there weren't many people going to be present where the wedding will take place. It's only going to be the priest, me, Prince Daniel and the two witnesses who are Ariel and her husband, James, along with their daughter Cami.

I took a deep breath before descending down the staircase. As I reached at the end of the stairs, I spotted Ariel standing beside a brown haired, green-eyed man who had his right arm wound around her waist as he stared at his wife and kissed her temple.

I instantly looked away, a pang of envy crossing within me at the affection they shared. It was clear that they both loved each other dearly and I adored them for that. Afterall, it's rare to find such love.

Cami came running to me and held my hand in her little ones which surprised me. She looked up at me with a bright smile, "You look beautiful, Ari! Can I call you Ari?" She asked although she already called me by that name many times since yesterday.

"Thank you and yes, you can call me by that name," I kissed her cheeks resulting her smile to widen.

Cami is a lovely child. She had been tagging along with me since I arrived, talking about her friends, the candies she liked and the candies she didn't like, the teachers who were her favourite, the toys she bought and so on.

"You look wonderful, Arianna," Ariel came up to me with a warm smile. Her husband a few steps behind her, "This is James, my husband. James, this is Arianna." She introduced us to each other.

"Nice to meet you," James said with a smile. His arm still wound around his wife's waist securely.

"Likewise," I smiled back.

"Now let's get started with the wedding ceremony," Cami reluctantly let go of my hand as Ariel lead me to the altar where prince Daniel awaited our presence.

I had always thought that a bride walked to the altar with her father beside her, blessing her with sweet words for the life that was to come but in my case, my father didn't even know that I was getting married not that he would ever do something like that. My father was shocked enough to know that I was the alpha's mate. I don't know what would happen to him when he learns that I got married to the prince himself.

Prince Daniel looked really handsome in his black tuxedo. He looked every inch of a prince only that he wasn't the prince charming material.

Ariel placed my hand on her brother's and to my utter surprise, his hand was warm and soft unlike his cold exterior.

Soon enough, the ceremony began. Prince Daniel and I slipped rings into each other's ring finger. The vow's began and we said our "I do's" moving forward to the most dreadful part.

I thought my wolf would object all this. Didn't the wolf's object any contact with other male except their mate? Here I was getting married but my wolf didn't speak a word as if she wasn't there in the first place.

"By the power invested in me, I pronounce you as husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride," the priest announced making my heart beat louder in my chest.

I didn't want this. I didn't want him to steal my first kiss. But I can't do anything.

Feeling absolutely powerless, I closed my eyes preparing myself for what was to come. Prince Daniel surprised me when he pulled me by my waist and kissed on my cheek instead, resulting my eyes to flutter open.

"Count your clock and be prepared because I'll torture you so much until your mate will stumble here accepting the truce and begging for me to release you," he whispered only for me to hear.

One thing about the royals was that they could block their voice from reaching to other's hearing. So, it means none of the others heard him. I looked up at him. He just stared at me with his cold eyes before backing away.

I stood frozen to the spot as his words sinked in. I gulped hard,

I wasn't prepared for this.