74. Wayne Manor

_=_

Dick was woken up by the smell of sizzling bacon.

"What?" He slowly opened his eyes and was immediately taken aback by the powder blue ceiling that occupied his vision. It wasn't a colour he was used to seeing when he regained consciousness. "Where am I?"

"Don't tell me you've lost your memory?" A teasing voice asked from somewhere to the bird's right, instantly jogging his memory. This was supposedly Gotham.

Dick's brows scrunched up as he threw the blanket that bundled him off his body and slowly sat up. Is this really. . .

He rubbed his eyes with both hands and looked around the room. "Why is everything blue?"

The thirteen year old shot a questioning at the blanket that had fallen to the floor then shifted his gaze to the other pieces of furniture scattered around the room.

"Sebastian, where am I?" he asked again, this time a scowl forming on his lips.

"So you haven't forgotten me yet." Sebastian replied as he walked into Dick's field of vision, a tray of breakfast and a cup of orange juice in his hands. "Lucky me."

"You don't sound too happy about that." Dick snapped then slowly put his feet on the carpeted floor. "Why does it seem like you want me to forget you?"

Sebastian winced and hurried to put the tray of food on the table by the bed. "You shouldn't be walking yet," he mumbled as Dick shuffled to his side.

"I feel fine." The bird did a spin to prove the fact while the older man stumbled and held onto the headrest of the bed to steady himself.

Dick stopped spinning and shot his kidnapper a worried look. "Are you okay?"

"Just a little jet lagged." Sebastian flashed the boy a weak smile and sat on the bed. Patting the spot next to him, he said, "come have breakfast."

Dick obediently sat by the man's side. "Are we really in Gotham?"

"Do you think I would lie to you?" Sebastian quirked an eyebrow and handed the tray of bacon and eggs, and orange juice, to the young hero.

"No," Dick said with overwhelming confidence, "you would never lie to me."

After watching the bird's certain expression for a moment, Sebastian laughed. "Good."

"So, why are we here? Are you really handing me back?" Dick asked between mouthfuls, not reacting in the slightest when Sebastian reached out to touch his cheek.

"What?" The man snorted then took back his hand with a thoughtful look etched into his features. "Will you miss me?"

"You're a villain." The bird shot him a dirty look then suddenly found interest in counting the snowflake patterns on the blue carpet. "Why would I miss you. . . I should take you to the cops and have you arrested."

A hand landed on the boy's shoulder making him look up at Sebastian with a start.

"The feeling is mutual," the man grinned then stole a strip of bacon from Dick's plate.

"Thief," the bird mumbled, setting the tray on the bed then staring absentmindedly at the bruises on his arms.

Sebastian got to his feet and turned sideways to face the thirteen year old. "Since you're so energetic today, let me take you somewhere."

"I'm not going." Dick crossed his arms and sulked.

"Didn't you want some answers from me?"

The question made the thirteen year old pause for a moment, then he shook his head and took his gaze away from Sebastian. "I want to go home."

"Look," Sebastian sighed loudly. "We have to wait until your bruises don't look so serious or the first thing your mentor does after he sees you is rip my head off."

"It doesn't matter," the boy mumbled, his gaze downcast.

"It matters to me," Sebastian argued, "don't forget that I'm your kidnapper. I'm the one responsible for your injuries."

"I'm telling you it doesn't matter, and you're not my guardian stop acting like one."

"Dick -" Sebastian took a step forward.

"By the time my bruises heal, I'll be dead!" Dick shouted and shot to his feet, staring down the older man. "I've been through worse. He's seen me through worse! I want to see him one last time. I just want to see him before I die. I want to see my friends and Alfred. I only have a week. Is it so hard to just let me go. Sebastian, just let me go! Let me go. . ." a sob escaped him, cutting his outburst short.

With his hands slapped over his mouth to hold in his pained gasps, Dick turned away again to hide his tears.

Sebastian watched silently from the side, a solemn look drawn over his features as he stared at the crying boy. "Okay," he breathed out the word and ran a hand through his hair.

For a moment Dick stilled, then he slowly turned back to Sebastian. "W-What?"

"I'll take you Wayne Manor right now," the man sighed again and walked up to the boy. "But only if you stop crying."

"R-Really?" Dick hiccupped and stared at Sebastian with wide teary eyes.

"Congratulations," Sebastian ruffled the boy's hair, "your guilt tripping worked."

"I didn't -"

"I know." The corner of Sebastian's mouth twitched upwards. "But if I die it's on you."

"Thank you." Dick said quietly and hugged himself.

"Don't thank me." Sebastian said with a hint of severity and let his hand fall back to his side. "I'm the reason you're in this mess. And I'm not a good person, I just don't want this affecting your health."

Dick smiled brightly and wiped his tear stained cheeks. "I know. But still, you didn't need to be nice to me. So thanks for that, putting up with me."

Sebastian rubbed the back of his neck and looked away, already making his way out of the bedroom. "Make sure to put on a jacket. Don't catch a cold."

-

Tada. Skipping an explanation and dashing right to Wayne Manor. Dick must really miss a certain brooding bat :)