Part Three. Chapter Nine. Eric

I'll be heading to my apartment for the night. I have an early shift tomorrow - Alex

My phone vibrated across the desk when I received the text.  I was just finalising my schedule for next week, beginning with the set of interviews for the admin positions that I had finally set up, at the time.  That was one task that took forever.  I had picked out the ones I thought I could possibly work with and asked Sylvie to set up interviews, which she had done, but next Monday through to Wednesday.

"Why did you not arrange them for this week?" I had complained.  I had wanted to get the whole thing dealt with like yesterday, but seeing as that wasn't possible, tomorrow would work just as well.

"They needed advanced notice," she had said rolling her eyes at me.  "Otherwise how else are they going to arrange time off from their other jobs, spend hours debating on what is suitable to wear, before tossing and turning all night long wondering what questions would be asked and what answers would they need?"  It was official, the woman was not a dwarf, she was a demon.  She loved it when I suffered.

I sighed after reading the text.  I could read between the lines, I knew what it meant.  My little mate had managed to get himself worked up about something again and I could easily guess to what that might be.

Just a few days ago, we were curled up on his sofa together discussing jealousy.  Or rather, he had been curled up, with a cushion acting as a plush shield, while I had been hovering close and itching to be that cushion.  He had been upset because he'd been witness to women aiming at our mate.  Alex had been a mess of emotions, I had already noticed that he seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve.  After I had calmed him down, he had told me about the Fey woman who asked Michael out and didn't appear to want to take no for an answer.  He had then spoke about the woman doctor.

"I probably read to much into it," he had admitted.  "There were girls at school who were touchy feely, but didn't mean anything by it."  Actually, I had thought he was being generous.  I had only heard a few words from Alex about her and I already loathed the woman.  I had remained silent about it though, I hadn't wanted him to feel worse.

We had curled up to sleep in his bed that night, but he had seemed a little more restless than when the three of us shared a bed.  Still, I had liked the fact that I got to scent his sheets first.

Ah, but whatever comfort he did get from me that night, seems to have waned and its all the fault of our too attractive for his own good mate.  Perhaps I should mark the man a little more, let the ladies know that they can look, but not touch.  He is mine and Alex is mine... I should mark him too...

My tiger was purring happily over our plan when I received a second text;

Alex has gone to his place for the night.  He won't need you to pick him up.  So I shall meet you back at home in a couple of hours.

Fuck me, how can a man who amassed credits and was considered one of the professors of our university's favourites, be so dense and stupid!

"Sylvie!  I'm heading out now!"  I called to her as I grabbed my keys.

"Alright, have a good weekend!"

*****

"What are you doing here?" It wasn't difficult to sneak past the late evening security and enter Michael's office ready to ambush him. Frankly, many of the nurses were more interested in ogling me than questioning me. Pity that it was not their attention that I wanted.

"I've come to knock some sense into you," I advised him, when he finally entered the room. He growled, that Alpha superiority of his considering my words a challenge. As this office was his 'territory' not mine, this was not unexpected, even if the words were coming from his mate. Of course, I wasn't the type to back down either and looked him fully in the eye.