Chapter 35: Your Father's Father, My Mother's Mother

**

I spent one minute and sixteen seconds looking at them.

Aza and Hezekiah. I spent one minute and sixteen seconds looking at Aza and Hezekiah, back and forth, deep into their eyes, carving out the bridges of their noses, the curvature of their ample lips, and the creases of their brows. I stared at the features they shared until they were one - until I was able to believe that Miss Aza Okoye and Hezekiah Mercier were related.

Well, it was actually Camile Mercier. That was Miss Aza's legal name - Camile Aza Mercier-Okoye. And from that, she went by Miss Aza Okoye. 

Aza and Hezekiah didn't say anything as I looked at them. They knew that I was still in disbelief. In shock. Hezekiah crossed his arms over his chest and waited patiently, a smug yet slightly anticipative look on his face. Aza was anxiously waiting for me to say or do something, her hand having left my arm and returned to her side.

When the 76th second passed, I finally spoke.

"Family?" was all I managed to say at first.

Aza nodded. "Yes," she said. "Hezekiah is my grandfather. Well, my great great great great grandfather."

I held up the photo, "And this is -"

"My wife," Hezekiah said - the first words he had said since he came into the house. When he said the word "wife," I saw a shift in his mood. He looked almost uncomfortable when he mentioned her - like he was plagued with memories that he wanted to suppress.

I walked towards them, composing myself once again. "I still don't understand," I began. "Aza, why would you hide something like this?"

"Because if the Coterie found out that I was related to Hezekiah Mercier, they wouldn't be too happy."

"You mean they would excommunicate you like they did to Doctor Ben?"

She rolled her eyes at the sound of her brother's name. "No. I mean they would kill me."

I sucked in a sharp breath at those words, for she meant them completely. To be related to a member of Terah's (now Abraham's) brotherhood, especially to an Elder, would be automatic treason in The Coterie's eyes. In addition to Aza practicing root work and witchcraft? I felt the knife slice my neck; I could only imagine how Aza felt.

"So is that why you're here?" I said to Hezekiah, whose presence was still making me anxious. "To prove your case or something? Because you're still an Elder; you're still part of Abraham's clan."

"I killed one of my own brothers," Hezekiah replied, annoyed with my petulance. "Ain't none of them want to see me right now."

"So, you come here? Where they can track you?"

"I know how to cover up my trail, babygirl. Been doin' it for over a hundred years."

I raised a finger at him. "Don't call me babygirl no more," I snapped. Hezekiah laughed insultingly. "And that doesn't mean anything. How do we know we can even trust you?"

"He's blood, Lisa," Aza said.

"Not to me." I couldn't help but laugh. "I mean, Aza, you watched me have sex with your however-great grandfather and now you want me to drop all suspicion and just roll with whatever you two are saying? That doesn't sound the least bit fucked up to you?"

That line stung. Both of them. But to me, these words had warrant. Secrets were being unveiled left and right, first about my relation to Sajida the Shunned and most importantly, Marie Laveau. Now to find out that Hezekiah is Miss Aza's Grandfather, four times, has spiraled me into near-denial that all of this information is true. Even meeting with Doctor Ben had my head spinning still, him detailing the revelations about Marie Laveau II and her dark reign.