The Compromise

MAY 16, 20XXSATURDAY 'Surgery Day'

MAY 16, 20XX
SATURDAY
'Surgery Day'

"You have this here with you?"

I pick up the photo booth strip of us from the mall.

He grins and nods. "My grandma brought it over today along with..."

He points over to a shopping bag on the chair and waves for me to bring it to him.

I do so and he happily takes out a camera.

He gives me a cheesy smile, "...this! My camera!"

I have a seat on the bed and admire it.

This is what he uses for his professional photos?

"I realized we only really had that photo of us. I wanted some more of us, but mostly...."

He snaps a photo of me unexpectedly before finishing his sentence, "I wanted more of you."

I smile appreciatively and slide into bed with him. We both slide down onto our backs and with permission, I take the camera to snap photos of us.

As we're reviewing them, Taehyung couldn't stop himself from beaming.

"You're beautiful, Jennie."

I shake my head, mostly because I'm never going to stop doubting the many compliments he gives me.

He places my hair behind my shoulder.

"Are you really all mine?" He asks adoringly in a low voice.

I give him a nod of my head and try to convince him with my eyes.

He swallows and stares at my lips, "Prove it to me when I get out?"

His look is so alluring, how could I say no?

"I'll prove it over and over." I promise those words to him.

I stare at him for a while because I want to leave this room with no regrets. He's just staring back at me with bedroom eyes.

I look away after a while, knowing I can't stay any longer.

"I'm...going to let you rest before your surgery."

I try to stay strong and keep a good smile, but Taehyung knows me too well.

He looks away and nods his head, not wanting to see how broken I was.

"I love you, Taehyung." I gulp down the feeling in my throat and blink back the tears.

He turns to me and brings his hand to the back of my head to softly pull me in for a kiss.

"I love you, Jennie."

He smiles and studies my face, trying hard to take me in before I go.

I give him one last kiss, taking my time to remember it...just in case.

He pulls away from it and rests our foreheads against each other.

"No goodbyes." He whispers and I nod.

I stand up and start making my way to the door, I stand there for a little while with my head against the doorframe.

"Just 'see you later's." He winks at me.

---

I wipe away the tears that I began shedding on my way out of the hospital.

I love him so much.

If I could, I would do anything to make sure he was around forever.

Just as I head down the stairs, I catch sight of the last person I wanted to see.

We connect eyes for a moment as we are about to cross paths on the staircase. Last minute, she flickers hers away as she ascends past me.

I roll my eyes and keep making my way down.

She has a right to see him before surgery, after all.

"Stop seeing him." Yeri suddenly demands from the top of the stairs.

I turn around and narrow my eyes at her. She really had no place at all to stop me from meeting with him.

"It's not fair to him! Do you realize that by being so close to him, you're making it harder for him?" Her voice starts gravitating to a higher pitch as she grows angrier.

"Is that what Jungkook said to get you to cheat on Taehyung with him?"

She lets out a short laugh."I loved Taehyung, but I also know he shouldn't be stressed about being a burden to someone he loves."

"He is not a burden." I ball my fists up, ready to throw them if I need to.

"To you. But he is to himself."

I turn back around, ready to just leave this conversation, because I've heard enough.

"I'll make you a deal you can't refuse."

Her footsteps signify that she is chasing me down the stairs. I spin around before her little fingers touch my shoulder.

"My great-grandma has passed and left me her entire inheritance."

I raise an eyebrow and give her the coldest look I could muster.

She digs into her purse.

"I will offer you...." her voice trails as she fills in the check before holding it up so close to my face, "This much to never see him again."

When I read the numbers on the check, my heart drops.

I knew I had lost.

If I take it... I can never see Taehyung again.

But if I don't...

She stares at me with a satisfied smile.

Knowing my decision was going to destroy me, I bite down hard on my lips and with tear filled eyes...

I take the check.