Chapter 6

Eunjae had been jostled around inside the carriage, due to the rocky path, for nearly an hour now. Her hands were restrained behind her back, rendering her incapable of catching herself from falling or steadying herself upright. As a result, Eunjae's head received several painful bashes. She let out an exasperated huff.

"Will you drive more carefully up there?" She spat in annoyance.

"Shut up. You're our prisoner, you don't get to make demands." The guard, whom Eunjae had so effortlessly taken care of back in the woods, snapped back at her.

Eunjae scoffed. "If I hit my head one more time I believe I will sustain permanent damage."

"Rightfully so!" The man exclaimed.

Jungkook shot him a displeased look. "That is absolutely unnecessary."

His fellow guard glared at him with dubiety. "The bitch knocked me out and tied me to a tree. She deserves everything she gets."

Jungkook took a deep inhale of air. Patience, he reminded himself. "Nonetheless, you don't have to be disrespectful. I will not have you belittling the royal name with your immaturity and short-temper. It is an honor and a prestige to be in this position; continue this behavior and disciplinary measures will have to be taken."

The man huffed out several curses to himself. Jungkook tsked at his behavior, unimpressed.

Not too long after, the carriage pulled up to the royal gates. Jungkook motioned to one of the gatekeepers to allow them entrance, which they promptly did, meeting the carriage where it parked near a door sunken into the side wall of the castle. Jungkook swiftly unmounted the horse, acknowledging the guards who greeted him with a salute.

"Pull the carriage 'round front. Once the prisoner is dealt with we'll be heading back into the town to pick up the princes." He ordered, dismissing the two with a nod as they bowed in understanding.

Eunjae sat patiently in the carriage, tired and irritated beyond belief. She didn't know what she was going to do; she had no strategy at this point, but at least Lisa had been let off free so she could take care of Sungjae and her mother. That was always the plan with the two of them: one of them must always escape. She was ripped out of her thoughts by the carriage door being thrust open by the handsome solider.

"Would you like to exit yourself or should I assist you?" He asked, voice neutral.

Eunjae scoffed. "Please." She slid across the seat and stepped onto solid ground, taking a moment to bask in long-missed stability. She tried to roll her restrained wrists, though it was futile, to lessen the tension in them.

"Follow me and don't attempt to escape. It would only bare worse consequences for you." The guard stated before striding towards the door, Eunjae scrambling to follow after him.

"I was under no inclination to do so. I still have my dignity." Eunjae muttered.

The corner of Jungkook's lips tilted upwards slightly upon hearing the woman, though she didn't see it due to his back facing her. She was quite interesting and far more commendable than the majority of criminals he'd had to deal with, which was rather refreshing for Jungkook.

He opened the wooden door, standing by the entrance and motioning for the woman to enter before him. She seemed reluctant, but nonetheless proceeded onwards, allowing Jungkook to close the door behind them. They were left in a dim, dingy corridor with only one torch flickering on the wall.  At the end of the hall was another door similar to the one they'd just encountered, however it had several more locks.

Jungkook made quick work of unlocking everything before he dragged the door open. The hinges let out a loud creak that resonated throughout the barren corridor, echoing for several moments and filling the empty space. Eunjae glanced at the guard hesitantly. He raised an expectant eyebrow at her.

"Alright, I'm going." Eunjae huffed, stepping through the threshold into the next room. She halted where she stood at the sight of a lengthy path which was lined by metal bars, that extended from the floor to the low ceiling, on either side, forming prison cells. Each cell was fairly small, with only a wooden cot for a bed, a chamber pot in the corner, and a minuscule window. Eunjae's expression fell sullen at the scene, especially when the guard urged her forward down the hall.

Each cell contained a prisoner, and almost every prisoner the two passed sneered at her and made inappropriate and repulsive remarks. Eunjae had to bite her tongue to avoid lashing out at the disgruntled, older men that populated the jail, and even the guard spat out several threats to silence them; she appreciated the gesture immensely. Finally, they stopped at a cell at the end of the room, thankfully closed in by a wall on one side. That was one less uncomfortable inmate Eunjae would have to deal with.

"This will be your cell for the time being. Within a day's time I will bring you before the prince to be sentenced." Jungkook informed stoically as he released the constraints on her hands.

Eunjae nodded, downcast, as she rubbed at her sore wrists. The guard unlocked the cell and held the door open for her, and Eunjae stepped in without any words passed. He shut the door and locked it, taking a step back.

Eunjae stayed frozen where she stood. She met the guard's eyes; they seemed surprisingly warmer. "Please, tell me, is the prince kind?"

Jungkook pondered for a moment at the question, trying to form an appropriate but accurate response. "He can be merciful at times, though I cannot promise you anything. He's quite unpredictable."

Eunjae was about to respond but the guard beat her to it as he leaned forward so that only she could hear his words.

"And for what it's worth, I apologize for these conditions and your situation."

Eunjae watched, stunned, as he retreated back down the hall without turning back. She glanced around her dull cell before talking a seat on the cold floor, her back against the wall.

What now?

=*=

patience, Jimin is coming
i'm too excited for this story i can't help but update
also i'm on a writing spree for this book rn i can't wait to get into things