Epilogue

Three months later

"Are you roasting the beans yourself in there?" Lyla called from the living room, sarcasm dripping from her voice in droves.

I rolled my eyes as I poured the fourth cup of coffee, and handed two to Archer. "Coming, my Queen," I announced as we exited the kitchen.

"Damn straight," she declared as I set her cup in front of her, and we cozied up on our couch. Damien finished fiddling with his playlist and a low ambient acoustic guitar track played, providing a perfect background for the cutthroat game of Hearts we were about to play. He sat down next to Archer on the couch opposite us, and pulled out a blue deck of cards.

"You fuckers are going to get skunked," Damien said.

Archer snorted. "Bullshit. You suck at this game."

"I'm getting better!" he replied with a pout.

I rolled my eyes as Damien dropped half of the deck when he tried to shuffle it. I shivered, reaching behind me to grab one of the blankets from the back of the couch.

"Cold, babe?" Lyla asked, furrowing her brow.

"Gotcha," Damien flicked a lighter from his pocket and shot a ball of flame into the fireplace, lighting up the kindling conveniently sitting there.

Archer leaned back out of the way, almost too late to have his eyebrows singe. "Shit, warn me before you do that!"

"Did you set that up just so that you could do that?" I raised an eyebrow.

Damien grinned wolfishly and just shrugged.

"Dudes." Lyla sighed and waved her own hand, blowing all the cards back up onto the table into four little piles.

"Cheating!" Damien cried.

I laughed. "Shut up and get ready to get your ass kicked," I said.

And thus was the way of our friendship.