Phantasm

When I was in high school, I took psychology. One of the lessons that stuck with me was the one on simulated reality. It was a hypothesis that said that life was some simulation that was just extra real. I always thought that was a silly thing to think about, but now I find it ironic. As my mind pondered this weird memory, I noticed that a lot of people were walking faster than usual. I quickly realized they were running, but in fear of what? I look to see another helix running around with his hands enveloped with coiling wind. His look was one of concern, as he gazed into the horizon, ready to face an unseen opponent. I knew what he was afraid of as, in an instant, a fiery aura blitzes the man to the ground.

I had seen him on the news, but this was my first time seeing him up close personal. Wildfire: a real-life superhero. He is a hero who is willing to stop the chaos caused by helixes like me. As he flickered with fire while holding down, he looked towards me. I thought he was looking elsewhere, but then he spoke out.

"What the hell are you doing? Get out of here!"

I was in complete disbelief. I literally couldn't'' believe he was talking with me. I suddenly hear the sliding of granite as the part of the building above me is falling towards me! He runs over to me, but I already knew what was going to happen. I didn't move a single inch as in a nanosecond; he passes right through me. The rubble falls on me, but in a few seconds, I walk right through it with ease as Wildfire stared at me with complete disbelief.

Hi, my name is Kate Adams, and I live in a world gone mad. Ever still living was probably a sick joke at this point. I don't remember exactly when "this" happened, but I remember the "how." My dad was battling lung cancer ever since I was five. But by the time I was halfway through my second year of college, he lost that battle. I still visit his grave on most days. My mom was different ever since. She became more dependent, more depressed, less her. During my third year of college, I would sometimes catch my mom talking with someone. Eventually, she revealed her boyfriend, Brian. There was something off about him for the longest time, especially when he messed with my Kitty-Kat collection.

I decided to visit my mom more often, and the creaks started to seep in. He always wanted me to know where my mom and I were at all times, and there was even a time where I showed up, and she had a bruise on her arm. I tried talking with her, but she would always brush off the question. I might as well have been a leaf in the wind. It all came to a head when during New years when he walked into my room in a drunken stupor. He woke me up and started trying to force himself on me. I screamed and yelled, wishing to be anywhere else. Then Genesis happened. It took a couple of minutes for it to click in, but it eventually did. I had become a phantom in the wind.

I felt stronger and lighter all at the same time. Though I realized soon enough the horrible truth that no one could hear nor see me, I could touch anything, but I never got hungry or thirsty. For a week, I tried getting my mom to listen to me. I screamed, hollered, trying my best for her to hear me as she sobbed and tried getting the police to track me down. I decided to pray to God, hoping someone would listen to me. But I was a drop in the ocean in the casualties of Genesis. That week was the hardest of my life. I imagined over and over about all the dreams that I wanted to do, Finish College, become an actress, travel to Hawaii. I couldn't bear to see the despair of my mom's face anymore. To make the most of my insane situation, I decided to distract myself.

I lost track of the days as I explored all of Philly. I saw the museums, the liberty bell, and all the halls. I went on some of the tours and specific places for free. I' even mooned and spied on people when bored. But now reality was starting to sink in. I faced the fact that I would never be seen again by anyone for the rest of my life. That in the end, I will fade into the ether. So you can imagine that my mind went to a million different directions when someone finally acknowledged me. I quickly walked out of the rubble with ease with Wildfire the Wildfire stared at the area around me in disbelief.