13. Education

13. Education

"So, Akabane..." Naomasa scrutinized the boy sternly, "for this term, your Japanese and English grades were the highest in our class. Actually, you had everything best in class, that's splendid."

On the table before them, five papers were strewn clearly over the top, showing each subject and respective grades given.

Karma stood casually, but there was that stiff tension in his shoulders, and his usual proud smile wasn't there. 

Naomasa gazed down at him, almost disappointed.

"Look here, Akabane," Nao placed his hand on the English paper-- "you made four spelling errors, two of which are basic words. And here--" he gestured at the Japanese paper, "a grammatical error."

The air was thick, and cold sweat dripped.

"Frankly," Naomasa mumbled, "these were mistakes that could've been easily solved if you'd given your paper a once-over, but you neglected to."

Karma's chin drooped, and Naomasa caught him swallowing nervously.

"Which basically, I infer--" Naomasa crossed his arms, "you would've gotten perfect grades on these two subjects."

No one moved, terrified of the growing anger bubbling right out of the teacher. It was rare to see him that irritated, disappointed-- 

In a way, Nao was just like the teachers in main campus. Grades were an important factor in life, more important in Kunugigaoka Junior High. Those who were taught by him before knew just how impatient Nao could get when it came to studies. 

If he wasn't angrily reprimanding you for your lack of serious attitude, he was giving up on you and deciding you a lost cause. It was tough to say which was worse, but here Karma quite preferred the latter. 

"In conclusion--" Nao's eyes shot into a glare, erecting a flinch from the redhead-- 

Naomasa snatched the papers right off the table, throwing them into the air.

"You're a prodigious asshole!" Naomasa declared, raising his hand and pointing at the boy, "those who hate Akabane, throw an eraser at him!" 

"Huh?" Karma was baffled, "wait--"

The class rioted, and erasers showered on the red-haired punk.

Naomasa boisterously laughed, and the class bolted around, hunting for every eraser they could find.

Nagisa was so taken aback, "what is this."

Kayano was too surprised to compose a reaction. Her face was frozen in pardon my japanoexcuseme but, not even knowing how people were supposed to respond to this situation.

Everyone bolted right out of their seats, laughing as they picked up erasers and aimed at the boy that was top of their class, finding humour in the suddenly provided opportunity.