47: A Score to Settle

It wasn't long before they reached the city. 

It was apparent the surge had not affected this place. The market was running smoothly and the buildings were intact. Gossip of the recent surge could be heard as Sen Shuai and Sen Jia walked through the groups of people. 

The few servants that had followed them since the surge finally felt safe enough to take their leave and return to the Song Clan. They left with messages from Sen Shuai and Sen Jia.

Sen Shuai followed the system's directions for several seemingly meaningless tasks all morning. As a result, they coincidentally were able to meet several people with information on the whereabouts of the nanny and her family. 

These tasks had the appearance of strolling around eating and playing while having fortuitous encounters with townspeople gaining hints and information about the greedy nanny, surnamed Rong, and her family.

By the end of the day, they knew the Rong family had moved to the most affluent neighborhood in the town and have been flaunting their wealth. 

This town wasn't large, so at night it became very quiet.

Sen Shuai stood in the rented courtyard under the moonlight. Jia watched from the doorway, not willing to break the scene of the handsome young man bathed in the glow of the moon.

The memories from the original Sen Shuai contained nothing good about this woman they were going to meet. Every action she took was tainted by greed and selfishness.

"Jia, how much should I punish that woman for the original to be satisfied? Will I know?" He asked without looking back at his lover.

"Nn, there will be a foreign sense of satisfaction as the wishes lingering in the body dissipate." Jia walked to Shuai, wrapping his arms around the other as he leaned against his back. "Just do as you see fit. I'm sure you can give that soul peace."

Sen Shuai nodded his head and squeezed Jia's arm. "I'll begin with fear. I want to see her maddened with anxiety."

The second day was filled with tasks centered around spreading stories of how Madame Rong had embezzled money from the Song clan when working as a nanny. They especially spread the rumor that the enraged Song Clan she stole from was on the way to settle accounts.

~~~The rumors soon reached the nanny's household.

"Nonsense! They never cared all these years. Why would they suddenly notice or bother with it?" She said this vigorously to give herself courage but her heart trembled at the thought of that powerful family coming to wipe her out. Everything she had done was to build up her own family. If the Song clan really came, she knew she would lose everything.

In the next courtyard, her son raised his voice.

"Who started this rumor? Find them and let's teach them a good lesson for slandering our family." Madame Rong's son was fired up with indignation at what he saw as wild rumors spread by jealous people.

After asking around for half a day the information led them to a small group of travelers staying at the best lodging in town. No matter what method she used she couldn't find out anything more. 

This alone was enough to increase the nanny's anxiety. Maybe it truly is an envoy from that family. Only she knew how she gained all the money so her family didn't have the same worries as her. She desperately wanted to keep it secret.

The eyes the city's people gazed at them with had changed from jealousy and admiration to open contempt. It was hard for the family to bear.

After these few days of scorn and stress, hiding in her house, peeking out at every passerby. The old nanny's mind was in disarray. Her bloodshot eyes and pallid face displayed her weariness. The usually tidy hair and clothes were now askew. She cut a sorry figure.