Part 3: 40-Civil War

A Year Later

"You gotta wake up, doll." Steve murmurs as he presses kisses to my face, drawing me out of sleep. I move closer to him, slowly opening my eyes. There's a happy little smile in my face as I look at his face in the light coming from the lamp on the side of his bed. God, how many mornings have I woken up to this? Steve was naturally an early riser and sometimes he would just stay in bed with me. I loved it because he laid in bed with me and the other Avengers loved it because it meant they didn't have to train or run so damn early. It was a win-win situation.

"I don't have to do anything but pay taxes and die, Rogers." I murmur back, snuggling closer to him. I pulled the blanket over me even further, covering up myself. He chuckles, kissing my forehead again. Steve tucks a strand behind my ear, his other arm pulling me in closer. Little intimate moments like this are so different with Steve. There's more emotion to it.

"Well I have a mission today and you have to go make a speech with your brother at MIT." He reminds me and I groan, looking up at him. I sit up, stretching my arms above my head. I let the sheets and blankets slip off of me as I walk to the bathroom.I turn my head to look at him over my shoulder, a smirk on my sleepy face. Steve's sitting up in bed, those blue eyes on me and a tired smile stretched across his face. His eyes catch mine from across the room. It makes me want to climb back in bed with him.

"Y'know for some who has a mission today, you're awfully distracted." I tease him before stepping further into the bathroom. I can hear Steve chuckle as he gets up from the bed. I jump into the shower and begin my routine. Steve jumps in after I finish. Like we usually do, we move fluidly around each other. While he gets into his gear. I carefully do my hair and makeup in the early hours of the morning. I'm completely done by the time he has to leave. It's so domestic, us getting ready side by side. Disgustingly cute. God, I love it.

"I'm sorry I can't be there to hear your speech. I'm sure you'll knock them dead." Steve says with a smile as we walk to together out of the room. My heels bring me closer to his height and they tap against the tiled floors. Steve had helped me choose a black pantsuit for today with a matching pair of heels. The only pop of color being the red lipstick I'm wearing.

"Thanks Steve. Please be safe okay? I'll kick your ass if you aren't." I tell him seriously. He's fiddling with the helmet in his hands. Steve Rogers looks almost nervous, more nervous than I have ever seen him in this past year. I raise his head with my hand, cupping his cheek as his eyes meet mine. He leans into my touch.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you guys today? I can miss the MIT thing." I tell him, trying to read his face. Steve shakes his head, obviously trying to keep me from freaking out.

"No, no we'll be okay." Steve reassures me. I sigh and lean up to kiss him. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me close. We pull away just when Sam comes walking down the hall. I wipe away the red stain on his mouth before turning my head to look at Sam. He's smirking at the two of us.

"Rogers! We are waiting on you! Can't believe Mr Early Riser is running late." He teases, which makes Steve roll his eyes. My boyfriend still has his arm wrapped around my waist. The whole environment at the base upstate is so much more....casual than Avengers Tower was. It makes me happy.

"Wilson, you want to keep those wings?" I ask, letting my voice turn into that uneasily cold voice that comes out sometimes. Sam shakes his head.

"No ma'am." Sam abuts himself up and I turn to kiss Steve one more time. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Tony walking towards the three of us.

"Sam, you let him doing anything stupid, I'm kicking your ass." I tell Sam as I pull away from Steve, "Kick ass, boys!" I walk away from the two of them, towards my brother. I know Steve is watching me go.