41-Sokovia Accords

Tony and I had gone back upstate separately. Steve had came down and greeted me. I knew their mission in Lagos had gone bad, very bad and the guilt was written all over his face. I held his hand, my thumb soothingly rubbing the back of his hand. We walked up the stairs, still holding each other's hands. I kissed him softly before we entered the meeting room. I took the only other free seat at the end of the table while Steve sat to the right of me. Tony has mentioned to me that he was picking someone up, but he didn't tell me it was Secretary Ross. The hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I felt nothing but utter disgust for the man standing at the other end of the table.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. Dropped, right in the middle of my backswing." Ross says loudly, swinging an imaginary golf club, "Turns out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen rounds of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in army never taught me-perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...while a great many people sees you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Natasha asks, humoring him.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned with what they leave behind." Ross says, his eyes landing on me when he utters enhanced. It takes everything in my power to not kill him right then and there. Ross points a remote at the glass screen in front of him, "New York. Washington DC. Sokovia. Lagos." He shows us videos of our destruction until Steve stops him.

"Okay, that's enough." Steve tells him, using his Captain voice.

"In the past four years you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords, approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary." General Ross says as my teammates pass around the copy of the Accords. My blood is boiling and it takes everything in my control not to scream.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve responds as Ross stands near him.

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asks and I can't stay silent any longer.

"That doesn't have anything to with us not making Earth a safer place. Thor isn't even a citizen of this planet and Banner isn't causing any harm, now is he?" I ask, my eyes settling on Ross.

"Well if I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes, you can bet there would be consequences, Miss Stark. Compromise, reassurance. That's how the would works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Ross says, motioning towards the Accords.

"So there are contingencies?" Rhodey asks, looking up at Ross.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Ross tells us and both Steve and I turn to look at Tony, "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks, looking up at Ross again.

"Then you retire." Ross responds before waking out with his body guard. I turn fully to look at my brother before standing angrily.

"Anthony, two things. One, you brought Ross in here, when you know exactly what Ross wants to do with "naturally enhanced" individuals. Two, you brought him here to talk about something that is going to be fucking ratified in three days? Are you shitting me right  now?" I snap at my brother, glaring at him. He gets up and moves out of the room. I follow him and all of us move out of the room. Steve sits down with the Accords as Sam and Rhodey start to bicker.