Chapter 79: Shiver Me Timbers

"Okay, Doc, Five, keep following that road south along the coast. That should take you to the last known location, where they sent the message from."

I groan, every muscle in my body aching as the sun sets low on the horizon. It's only five o'clock, but I haven't gotten to rest at all today. I've been running since this morning when I went on that mission with Owen and Jody, and while I know this is important, I'm running out of juice. I'm not sure how much longer I can go on before I collapse completely.

"But we don't know where they're going," Maxine says.

"No, which isn't exactly ideal, given that the van they're driving contains vital intel on the exact time we need to be using the ZRD in Comansys Tower." Sam sighs stressfully. "When Amelia was using the Radio Cable guys as unwilling... intel mules? Is that a thing? Anyway, she got them to meet up with a former Comansys employee she's done some shady deal with. Everything he knew about the ZRD in exchange for who-knows-what.

"She told Eugene he was an art collector, handing them some valuable statue for safe keeping, only it wasn't valuable; It was hollow, and the intel's hidden inside, and we need it urgently. We need to know when to plug that device in and use it to block Moonchild's control forever."

"Which is why Five and I are on a man hunter duty."

"Exactly."

"Without any idea where the Radio Cable guys are heading."

"Exactly."

"There are no clues in the message they sent?"

"None."

"Uh, guys," I interrupt, "I know this is a really bad situation and time is valuable, but can we please just take a break for like, five minutes? I've been running ever since this morning and I don't think I can keep going like this."

"I know, Five. And I'm sorry, but you can't stop, not just yet. If we don't find the Radio Cable guys soon then we'll probably never get that intel. Just drink some more water a-and hopefully you'll get to rest soon."

I sigh, closing my eyes for a moment and taking in a deep breath of the freezing air. It stings, but it distracts me from the pain in the rest of my body. With gloved hands I wipe away the sweat from my forehead and keep going.

"Maybe Five can pick up on something you guys missed, with her being such an avid listener. You still have it, right?" Maxine asks.

"Oh, really?" He whines. "Don't make me play it again, please."

"Come on, Sam. It's important."

"Fine. Here we go."

I hear a click as the recording begins.

"This is a message for Sam Yao, Janine De Luca, Runner Five and all those at Abel Township," Jack says, his voice trembling. "This is-this is a goodbye message to Abel from me and the rest of us-Phil, Eugene and Zoe. We're... we're leaving... I-I don't..." His voice cracks. "I-I'm sorry. I can't..."

"It's okay. It's okay," Zoe says. "Let me."

"It's okay, Jack. We're here," Phil says.

"We heard the news about what happened in the early hours of this morning-that New Canton citizens had been subjected to mind control and attacked Abel Township. We understand that returning home isn't an option for us anymore, that coming home wouldn't be safe. So we've decided. We're leaving. We don't know where we're going, but we won't be coming back. So this is a goodbye."

Click.

"Anything stick out to you, Five?" Maxine asks.

"Other than the fact that my pretend fiancé and his friends are literally running away from the problems Abel is facing instead of coming back to help, no."