Chapter 185: Home in Koraco

The one who baked our favorite cookies stood over me with her hands attempting to be on her hips, but defaulting to holding her elbows because it was so cold outside. I sighed and dropped some warm magic on her, making her brown nose stop being so red, and letting her stop sneezing long enough to talk.

     "Thank you," Tierre sniffled, gasping inward while blinking the tears of blistery cold wind from her eyes. I put up a barrier as well - screw it, extended the whole thing around the training grounds - while wondering why Thérèse didn't just use common sense and stick everyone inside the training ground doors I specifically left for their use. No, they were all standing around outside, letting the sun attempt to warm them up without Saedli to make it colder, but failing. Because, well, Koraco during winter just had no compromise. The golden light on white snow beneath our - or rather, their feet, since I was floating - was no blessing at all. "Miss Firea. Where's Magaris?"

     I stared up at her blankly. "Didn't you meet her when I last brought her here?"

     "Yes, for all of a few minutes." Tierre coughed, and a heavy brown jacket dropped on her shoulders. Confused by the thing, but grateful for the high collar that could reach up to her cheeks and keep her warm, she pulled it closed on either side of her body and shivered down at me while the rest stood, awkwardly, talking lowly, behind. I couldn't tell if Thérèse had broken herself in the past year or if she started to have faith in other people's strength, because there were a lot more than intended. Or, no. They were there like Tierre to come see me and push me for questions. "When will she return next?"

     "Whenever she so decides...? I don't know her schedule. Though," my eyes panned off to the side, again scanning the small crowd of people that'd managed to stand the blistering winds, and the smarter ones that took shelter inside to wait. It wasn't like there was an explicit requirement to stand out in the open...Thérèse just stood there, waiting, because it didn't bug her. That woman was superhuman. "Maybe, I should teach her teleportation magic soon."

     I caught on Martin and Sarah standing over there, remembering their words. Community was important, and Magaris needed to experience that again.

     "...well do that, and tell her to come back soon. Some people do want to see her, whether or not she realizes. You don't just run away from home without looking back at the people you left behind."

     My eye narrowed while looking up at her. She unflinchingly stared back down at me.

     "I take it this refers to Magaris only?"

     "You have no idea the amount of cookies I must bake every week to satisfy the other little misses and little master, because you no longer give them yours."

     "That seems like a health concern."

     "Yes, well, after Decembre 1st, with so many leftover cookies and no children to eat them, depressed adults all around, it was."

     "You should meet Marinette."

     Tierre's face scrunched. She was cold and not having my randomness at the moment. "Who?"

     "No one," I turned away, "you should get inside, it's awfully cold out today."

     The line of those that wanted to see me was endless, after all. Seemingly, at least.

     "Magaris had better be back here in no more than a week. If she's not, I'm not giving the children any sweets, and I'll tell them to blame you."

     That threat somehow had more stock in me than I thought it would've, watching her stalk past and go back inside. White fur jerked on the ends of the brown coat's arms as she hurried back to the manor. For someone that was used to unending sun in Chardrent, only her bravery could be commended for sticking it out that long.