seventh july

It's July and Holt and I go on a double date with my sister and her baby daddy

Mom and Dad are graciously babysitting Dean.

Eloise keeps mentioning how happy she is to be out with grown-ups. She's taken a very long maternity leave, so she's always home with the kid. She's supposed to go back to work next month. I think she's kind of dreading it.

We go to a sport's bar my sister and her boyfriend used to be regulars, before they had Dean.

The place is packed and my sister knows all the staff, so we usually go for our beer runs on our own. We're not in a hurry. We're just enjoying each other's company.

Seeing my sister with her boyfriend always makes me smile. There's a casualness between them that I just adore. My sister's always been restless. I think part of it comes from her ADHD. But when she's with him she's more grounded.

And I love the way she loves Holt and the way Holt and her boyfriend get along. They always get all giddy when they get together and start talking football. It's adorable.

I'm grateful that Holt gets along so well with everyone in my family. I know that even if I loved him unconditionally, if he didn't like my sister or my parents, if they all didn't get along, it would kind of be a deal breaker.

At one point of the evening, Eloise and I go at the bar to get more beer and let Holt and her baby daddy geek out about football.

While we're waiting for our drinks, we both lean on the bar, looking at our boyfriends chatting animatedly together.

"Our boyfriends look gooooood," Eloise drawls.

I chuckle. "They really do," I agree.

"Did you ever think our lives would end up like this?" she asks me out of the blue.

I snort. "God no. Honestly, I wanted something like this, but I think deep down I was always certain that I could never have it. You?"

"I think I always thought I would have a string of sugar daddies and fuckboys. I never saw myself with someone stable."

I throw an arm around her shoulder and hug her to my side. "I think we've done pretty good for ourselves dear sister."

She grins and leaning her head on my shoulder. "I completely agree."