eighth april

It's April and Holt and I are visiting houses

We've gotten ourselves a realtor agent that's done most of the work for us. All we need to do now is just show up at these places and say deal or no deal.

We've visited eleven houses and condos so far but nothing fits. We're both not finding anything to our taste. It's too small. Too big. It's not well divided. There's not enough light. We're too close to our neighbours. We're too far from my parents. We're too far from the airport. Too many renovations to do. Too much out of our budget. Nothing ever works.

Just because we made a popular documentary doesn't make us filthy rich. As a matter of fact it doesn't even make us kind of rich. With my journalist gigs and documentarian moments, I'm not the one that brings home the bacon. Holt is, with his hot instagram. He does the right collaborations with the right people, so he's gotten good at using social media over the years. But still, we're not millionaires. We've got money saved up, but the goal is to not spent it in one go.

I'm honestly considering just giving up on this whole moving thing. We love our apartment anyway. Why fix something that isn't broken?

So today we're driving to a one floor house which apparently has a nice solarium and that's twenty minutes away from my parents. We've seen a few pictures and it looks good, but pictures have tended to be misleading so far, so I'm not counting on a victory today.

Holt is his usual overly enthusiast puppy self. "This is the one," he tells me, almost bouncing up and down on his seat.

I roll my eyes at him. "I don't know, our track record would beg to differ."

"If you always go in with that negative attitude we'll never find a place," Holt tells me sternly.

"Ugh!" I throw my head back a bit, annoyed. "I just think there are better ways to spend my time. Like, you know, just me, you and your glasses."

"I thought my moles was going to be your weird thing," Holt says kind of thoughtfully. I chuckle. "I really don't get why the glasses too."

I raise my eyebrows while looking at him. "Have you seen yourself wearing your glasses?"

"As a matter of fact I see myself clearly when I do," he replies and laughs, like he's funny.

I shake my head. That adorable Smooches.

I sigh, getting serious. "Look, I'll make an effort. I won't whine. Maybe this is the one. Maybe we'll fall in love with it the way I fell in love with you."

Holt grins. "That's my man."

Yes I am.

I'm humouring Holt though, because I don't have any expectations. I'm sure we'll go home disappointed again.

I'm completely wrong.

Before even stepping out of the car I always love that house. It's adorable and the yard is beautiful and not too big, so not too much shovelling.

Holt is smirking at me during the whole tour because he knows what I'm thinking.

When we're finally done, we're all gathered in the kitchen, which is really just an open space for the dinning room and the living room, but instead of a wall separating the kitchen/dinning room with the living room it's a library.

"I'll let you two talk it out," our realtor says and heads to the sunroom.

I turn to Holt, looking at him seriously. "Now, the only question that's really important. The make it or break it one... Can you imagine me kissing you against our fridge in this kitchen?"

Holt bursts into laughter and hugs me.