chapter 2

Hailey's POV

I stealthily climbed into my bedroom window. Well as stealthily as I could with a throbbing head and a stinging bruise on my cheek.

I am still confused as ever. I don't understand what just happened.

Why was River there? Why did he go crazy on that man? Would he tell people what he saw?

Oh god I hope he keeps his mouth shut. The last thing I need right now is the whole school knowing I was just assaulted by a random man... and that I tackled River Blakey.

As I was laying down, contemplating all that had happened, I heard stomping up the stairs. I immediately stood up and scrambled all around the room, looking for something to cover my face with. I had no excuse as to why I had a huge bruise on the side of my face, and I didn't want my parents to know what happened.

I was too late.

My mom flung the door open and stood in my doorway, with a furious glint in her eyes.

She knew. She had to know, why else would she be looking at me with such fury?

"Mom... I can ex--" I began before I was cut off by my mothers groan of frustration

"I just can't believe your father anymore. Don't ever get married, trust me."

Of course it was about my father. Had she even noticed I was gone?

"Listen sweetie I'm sorry, but I can't take you to school anymore, you're going to have to walk." She rushed and with that she turned away and shut the door.

What was it with people turning away from me today? It seemed like a common theme in my life nowadays.

My mother hadn't even noticed I'd left the house for a good 2 hours and came back with a huge blue and black bruise on the side of my face.

Well, that's my mother for you.

My mom just basically ignored that fact that I had broken every parents major rules, but the part I was the most upset about was the fact I had to walk to school from now on.

As I drifted off to sleep, I thought about what school would be like tomorrow and what would be waiting for me within the halls of Healdsburg High.

***

I woke up to the sound of an alarm blaring in my ear.

I rolled over onto my back and turned off the annoying sound.

When I got up and looked in the mirror, I was shocked. The bruise on my face was even worse than it was last night. It looked all different color shades of purple, blue, and black.

I decided I'm not going to cover it because my mom didn't notice last night and I wanted to see just how much she wouldn't notice about me.

I hopped in the shower and took a much needed bath.

I dressed myself in a simple pair of boyfriend jeans, a white t-shirt, and white converse. I applied some mascara and lip gloss, put my chocolate colored locks in a high ponytail, and then called it a day.

As I stepped out of the comfort of my room all of the events of last night came rushing into my head, and I began to worry.

I pushed it to the back of my head for now, because I need to get to school.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my mom hovering over the coffee machine, trying to get it to work.

"Good morning, mom!" I said trying to sound chipper.