Chapter 63 - Identity Crisis

"It's not that ruddy hard to remember, you know," Donna continued to complain, dropping her bags on the ground with a huff. "Taking Donna to visit alien planets: good. Leavin' Donna on said alien planets: bad! Can you get that through your thick skull, or is all that hair gel you use gettin' in the way?"

"D-Donna?" Lyssa stuttered, staring at the woman with wide eyes.

The redhead turned in surprise, rolling her eyes when she saw the younger girl. "Oh. Well. Now I'm not surprised. You're here." She threw her hands up in the air in an exaggerated shrug. "Why wouldn't he forget all about me? Loses all brain cells the second you show up, I swear."

Her gaze swung around the TARDIS, wrinkling her nose as she took in the orange glass tones that had replaced the dark brown of her Doctor. "How long have I been gone? You've redecorated. I don't think I like it."

She turned back to Lyssa, only then noticing the two toddlers and still-stunned grown man next to her. She blinked. "How long have I been gone?"

"What?" Rory just stared, open-mouthed. "I'm sorry. But... who are you, and what are you doing here?"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Donna Noble, best temp in Chiswick, underpaid babysitter of a space dumbo. Now, not to be rude, sunshine, but what the flip are you doing on the TARDIS? Last I heard, Lyssa was the only strange brunette the Doctor just let wander around the TARDIS."

Not letting him respond, she turned back to Lyssa. "What's he doing on the TARDIS? And why," she lowered her voice to a whisper, "are there two sleeping toddlers in adult clothing on the floor?"

Lyssa just shook her head at her helplessly. "I think I know less about what's going on than I did before," she muttered. "Rory, can you pinch me? I think I'm dreaming."

"Only if you promise to return the favor," he returned, pinching her anyways.

"Ow!" She jolted, rubbing the now red spot on her arm. "Okay, not a dream. Um... things just went from weird to infinitely worse. Donna? Are you really here?"

"Well I sure hope I am, or things are about to get really awkward," the older woman retorted, crossing her arms. "Where's the Doctor?"

Rory finally found his voice, his eyes dropping to the sleeping form on the floor. "Uh... he's currently unavailable. I don't suppose you would be willing to leave a message?"

Donna snorted. "Oh, I'll leave a message, all right. Oi, spaceman!" she shouted, striding to the stairs leading to the hallway and raising her voice. "You have a few guests in the console room, might want to pop down and take a look!"

She cast a skeptical glance at the child-form of the Eleventh Doctor and turned back to the stairs. "A child who coincidentally looks like a cross between you and Lyssa is here! Feel free to come down and give me an explanation before I start making one up!"

"Donna!" Lyssa hissed in mortification, cheeks rapidly turning red. "What are you doing?"

The woman didn't even spare her a glance. "What's it look like I'm doing? I'm calling the Doctor down here. That man has a lot to answer for. And for the record, as much as I claimed that I babysit a space dumbo, I'd rather not take care off his offspring. One's bad enough."

"Donna! That's the Doctor!" Lyssa finally cried, thrusting one hand at the young Doctor and using the other to cover her now scarlet face.

"Right," Donna scoffed. "And I'm the Queen of England. Go on. Pull the other one."

"No, Donna, I'm telling the truth, please believe me," Lyssa pleaded. "That's a future version of the Doctor, and the redheaded girl next to him is Amy, both of them have been turned into toddlers. We - Rory and I - don't know how, and we don't know why, but I swear I am not related to either one of them, and I am this close to having a mental breakdown." She held her fingers a centimeter apart.