45-All Night

6 Months Being on the Run

I sat near the window, keeping lookout while I played with a flame on my hand. A fire created by me roared in the fireplace. Steve slept soundly near me on a bed that was barely big enough for him. I looked at him for a moment, smile on my face as he snored, absolutely exhausted. He didn't want to have me keep lookout tonight, but exhaustion was carving into that pretty little face of his. I could go a night without sleep. I turned my attention back to the snow covered world outside the window, my flame slipping between my fingers.

It was something else, hiding out like this. Sam, Nat, Wanda, Steve, and I moved in utter secret. By using both Natasha's stealth skills and my persuasion we were able to slip through everyone's fingers. I had more than enough money in off shore accounts that had once belonged to Obadiah Stane that I was happily draining money from. Fury visited occasionally, if we were near him. It wasn't like he was going to turn us in.

Steve shifts on the creaky bed, drawing my attention back to him. His wedding band was on his finger, I knew that. I told him that it was perfectly okay for him to take it off at night when he slept, but Steve said he didn't want to leave it behind just in case we had to make a quick escape. I doubt he'd forgot his ring. Steve never let that thing out of his sight. I used my telekinesis to pull the blanket back over him, tucking it under his chin. Steve hadn't shaved since we left so a beard is slowly covered his face (you're welcome world, I was the one that told him he should grow out his hair and beard) and his hair was getting long. God, he is beautiful. I turned back to the window.

Clint and Scott had both taken a plea deal in order to get back to their families. We were all okay with that. They needed to be with their families. We could get away with hiding like this because we didn't have little humans attached to our hips. Scott has wished us good luck with our marriage and Clint had quietly spoke to Steve before they left. Steve still won't  tell me Clint said to him that day. Scott took another letter and picture to give to Tony and I'm so glad he agreed to doing it.

Steve shifted on the bed again, the ancient springs letting themselves be known. I smile, part of me wishing he'd fall off the bed because I think Tony would enjoy that picture. The picture that Tony got this time was a very candid picture Sam got of Steve and I playing in the snow when we stopped in Prague to rest. I didn't know when I'd see Tony next, so I hoped these pictures bought him some comfort. Flowers were going to be sent to the graveyard for Mom and Dad. I hated that I wasn't able visit them this year.

I turn once more to the white world outside, huffing so I could see my breathe in the very cold room. Natasha, Sam, and Wanda were in the room connected to ours. It was a shitty hotel, but it was going to be home for a hot minute. In the corner of our room, there was a small little Christmas tree. We wouldn't be able to really celebrate Christmas, but that was okay. I had Steve and I knew my brother was safe. That's all I needed in life at this moment. The door that connected Natasha, Wanda, and Sam's room to ours opened.

"I'll take watch now, Pey. Get some sleep." Natasha tells me, her voice very soft. I turn my head to look at her, nodding.

"Thanks Nat." I respond, barely raising my voice as I stand, kicking off my boots and carrying them over to the side of the bed. She closes the door behind her just as I carefully pull back the blankets. I carefully lay down next to Steve, filling what little space he left me as I take off my dog tags and put them on the night stand. I curl up next to him and Steve shifts. I wince as he wakes up slightly.

"Go back to sleep." I whisper softly to him as Steve pulls me close. His eyes open slowly, looking at me.

"Nat trade shifts with you?" Steve mumbles out, his arms holding me close. I wrap an arm around his waist.