Chapter 21

RECAP

"I don't regret anything." he strode over to me and bent down at his knees, massaging my fat belly.

"Not one thing. I don't regret meeting you. I don't regret recklessly hitting on you at that fashion show. I don't regret making this baby with you, and it was a fun process." he smiled.

I smiled back. "How do you always know what to say? I'm glad you're here with me."

His eyes grew solemn. "The one thing I will never regret, Vivian, is falling in love with you."

~Vivian~

"I already know that you still have feelings for Richard, and I understand that. But that won't affect the way I feel about you."

"Steven, I don't know what to say."

He held my hand. "It's okay. I wasn't really asking for permission anyway. i was just letting you know that I'll be approaching you." he winked.

I playfully smacked him on the arm, "Let's get through this pregnancy first. Speaking of which, I need to pee so, move." I laughed. "Your daughter is needy."

"Don't you mean son?"

I walked to the bathroom door and yelled, "Daughter!" 

"Son!" 

I chuckled hearing him retort back. Men. When I finished my business, I washed my hands and noticed how my fingers looked chubby. I frowned and looked closer. Oh, God. I have butter fingers. I stared back up at my reflection and my face definitely got rounder. I stood to the side to observe my swollen belly. It looked like I had a small throw pillow under my shirt. I pouted at my stomach.

"Baby, why did you have to be so big?' 

And knowing that it's been barely 11 weeks means it's only going to get bigger. Good bye, beach bod. Not that I ever had one, but still. The bags under my eyes were more prominent than ever. How could Steven say he loved me in this state? I'll have to set an apointment with the optometrist for him. 

I opened my make up drawer and applied a little concealer to hide the dark rings and some chapstick on my dry lips. Make up definitely helped, but the reflection staring back at me was still...lost. 

On the positive side, they say pregnancy helps get a bigger chest. I might finally fill out in that department. 

I washed my hands of the concealer on my fingers, and mustered up the courage to walk back out there. How does one act when a man confesses his feelings?

When I walked into the bedroom, it was empty. "Steven?"

"In the living room!" he yelled.

I made my way to the living room, and saw him on the phone. He was facing the window and he looked like he was highy annoyed with whoever he was talking to. His dark brown hair got a little longer. It reached the nape of his neck and curled at the ends. He curled and uncurled his hands in a fist. I placed my hand gently on his shoulder. He turned around and offered a smile, although strained.

"Look, I'll call you back later. Yes, I know. Okay. Bye." he put his phone into his trouser pockets and held my hands.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I should be asking you that."

"Just work. Don't worry about that. Here, I'll finish making dinner."

His hand still held my own as we went into the kitchen. He didn't grasp too rough but his hold was firm. Reassuring. I needed a little reassuring in my life.