e l e v e n

River groaned as she finally made it down the steps and to the door

"You sure you don't wanna go to the doctor? I don't think you're supposed to be in this much pain. And the OB/GYN said that you could be a high risk pregnancy since you're so small," Hayze said worriedly as he helped her into her sneakers.

"I'm fine Hayze. Just a little sore. Lets just go get the baby stuff so we're prepared. I give birth in two months."

He smiled excitedly and kissed her temple. "I can't wait. Did you not want to tell people the gender of the baby though?"

She shook her head. "No, not now anyway. I actually like doing surprises."

"Well how do we know what clothes to get so people don't find out?"

"We'll just get gender neutral clothes. Problem solved."

°•○●○•°

"Hayze this crib is so cute," River gushed as she reached into it and felt the soft pillows. 

"You want this one, bella rosa?" he asked as he came behind her and grabbed her hips, rubbing his thumbs soothingly into the bottom of her back.

She shrugged and looked over at all the other cribs. "I don't know. What happens if I find another one?"

"We'll look one more time and if you don't find anything else, we'll come back and get this."

She nodded and grabbed his hand before pulling him over to a shoe store. He slowed his pace so he didn't walk too fast for her.

Just before they got to the doors of the shoe store, River noticed two girls pointing and laughing at her. She ducked her head uncomfortably when she noticed they were girls from the school she used to go to.

Hayze rubbed her back soothingly. "What's wrong babygirl?" 

"Nothing. Lets just go inside," she said quietly before letting him open the door for her.

She immediately made her way to the tiny shoes and squealed over how cute they were. "Ohmygosh, Hayze these sneakers are so cute. We should all get matching shoes."

He chuckled and nodded. "Sure. Pick out three sets for the baby and then you go get yours. I'm gonna go pick up a track jacket. Don't go to far. And be careful."

She nodded and rolled her eyes. "Okay... daddy."

He laughed and smacked her bum before walking off, not without saying a "you know it," and then he disappeared behind a rack of sweat pants.

She carefully chose out nice shoes that she knew both her and Hayze would wear before she went over to the womens section to get the same pairs but in her size. She was so busy concentrating on finding the same shoes that she didn't notice the group of teens gathering around her.

"Hey River."

She looked up in surprise and scrambled backwards when she noticed the group of girls snickering and whispering to themselves right in front of her. A blonde girl named Mandy was standing at the front of the group.

"Uh, hi," she said uncomfortably. She felt a small kick in her tummy and she felt slightly less alone.

"You're pregnant." It was more a statement than a question.

She nodded and looked around for an exit, but she was surrounded.

"Congratulations."

"Thank you. Ugh, how was graduation?" she asked, trying to make conversation. 

"It was decent. Good grades and everything. Nothing special. We were wondering why you just disappeared all of a sudden, but its pretty clear now. You couldn't keep your legs closed."

She frowned at the sudden turn of the conversation.

"I always found my boyfriend staring at you. I always knew you were a hoe," Mandy said bitterly. 

River scoffed and picked up her stuff. If all these girls came over here to do was to insult her, she wouldn't stick around.

Just as she tried to squeeze past, Mandy's group closed her in, trapping her. 

"Excuse me. You guys are in my way," she said softly as she cradled her baby bump protectively. 

"Whose baby is that?"

"Not really any of your business, but its my husbands."

"Husband?" All the girls eyes bulged out of their heads.

River laughed and shook her head in disbelief. "You guys still act like you're in high school with your little clique. Its nice to stay young, but you've gotta stop with the pettiness and drama. That was high school stuff. It gets you no where out in the world. You've got other things to worry about like your grades in college and the bills getting paid."

Mandy shoved River back by her shoulder. "Just because you're suddenly all grown and matured with a baby doesn't mean you know everything. You're still flat chested River."

River rolled her eyes at the old nickname girls would tease her with in the gym room. "Like I said, you're stuck in high school. My husband seems to think I have nice boobs so could you just... move."

"What did Nico see-"

"River, what's going on?" 

The girls turned around and their jaws dropped at the sight of the tall, tanned muscled man standing there with a scowl on his handsome face.

"I finished picking out my shoes," she smiled and he smiled back before pushing through the crowd of girls and placing a kiss on her forehead. He grabbed the shoes and then her hand before tugging her past and towards the counter.

They asked for her size shoe and then picked out the same shoes for him before they paid for everything and left.

"Who were those girls?"

"They went to my school."

"They were bothering you?"

She shrugged. "They were just surprised that i was pregnant. I'm surprised too."

He looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "You sure?"

She nodded and rubbed her tummy. "I'm sure."

"