It's All Okay When I Say, "You And I"

So, uh. Ryan Ross is probably the epitome of cool, in Brendon's eyes. He doesn't know how this really came upon, but Brendon thinks it was one day when he saw Ryan leaning against his locker with a bunch of people around him. Brendon was a freshman at the time and Ryan was a sophomore, and he was so damn popular that when Brendon walked by him for the first time, he slowed his steps and admired Ryan like he was in a movie. And he definitely thought holy crap, wow.

And it's been like that ever since. He's always admired Ryan from afar, never really talked to him (never talked to him at all). But this year, this year will be different. This year, Brendon will talk to Ryan Ross. It's his last chance to. Ryan's a senior, no doubt going to college, and Brendon will have no one to oogle at. So this year will be different. This year...

Brendon will send Ryan a small present a day as his Secret Santa.

“That's so stupid, Brendon,” Tom says while they're sitting across from each other at lunch. There are a bunch of other guys, today including Tom's other senior friend Jon. Tom's a senior too, and Brendon actually does have a lot of senior friends. But for some reason, he can't bring up enough courage to be Ryan's friend.

“I think it's sweet,” Jon throws in, giving Brendon a gentle smile as he dips his French fry into Tom's ketchup. “Maybe he'll show interest.”

“You think?” Brendon questions, perking up. The thought of Ryan thinking Brendon's Secret Santa gifts are sweet makes Brendon's stomach go crazy. “I mean, I'm not going to buy him a car or anything. Just... small things. The Secret Santa thing starts on Wednesday and I need to think of what to get him. What about candy canes? Those are small and everybody likes candy canes.”

Tom doesn't say anything, just sighs and keeps eating his sandwich. Jon lightly smacks the back of his friend's head. “Be nice,” Jon tells him. “And I think that's a good idea, Brendon. I could always ask Ryan what he likes so you can get an idea, if you want me to.”

It's not that Brendon doesn't like Jon at all. Brendon kind of loves Jon. Who can hate Jon? The only slight problem is that Jon is friends with everybody. He's nice to everybody and everybody loves Jon. Jon Walker this, Jon Walker that. Which is never a problem, because Jon's just awesome. But yeah, the problem. He's friends with everybody. Which means he's friends with Ryan. Apparently they're pretty good friends, too. They hang out and go to parties together and things like that. Tom goes too, but has never gotten close enough to Ryan to be friends with him. Says things like, 'He's not as great as you think he is, Brendon. He's so emotionless, Brendon – you guys would never get along. I heard he's a huge douche bag, Brendon.'

Brendon's face flushes and looks down at his salad, pushing it around with his fork. “Um, no, it's okay, Jon. But thanks. I'd, uh. I'd rather not- it's like- I wouldn't, um. It's fine, really, it is.”

Tom smirks and looks at Brendon. “What, you want to 'surprise him', Bren?”

He flushes more and doesn't say anything, shoving half of his salad he managed to get on his fork into his mouth. He hears Jon huff and hears Tom whine in complaint. “I don't understand why you pick on him,” Jon states. “Don't listen to him, Brendon.” He feels a hand on his shoulder and Brendon looks up, seeing Jon leaned over the table to comfort him. “What you're doing is really thoughtful of you and it's adorable. I'm sure Ryan will appreciate getting cute gifts from his Secret Santa.”

Jon sends him a playful grin and Brendon smiles back a little weakly, but he nods confidently. He really wants to do this – he wants Ryan to notice him, say how nice it is of Brendon to get all these things for him, and then Brendon can go in for the kill by sweeping Ryan off his feet and asking him to be his forever. Or something like that.