3.2

•- Laine Bennett -•

It was easy at times to lose myself in work. I know I only file and arrange, but it was oddly fun for me. Despite my room being an absolute mess, there was something satisfying about organizing someone else's belongings. I think this job for now was just right.

Who the fuck am I kidding? I make more working here than I would at any other place of employment and I'm drowning in college loans and I can't do that to myself for the rest of my life.

I was filtering through the many emails Austin received when one I hadn't gotten a chance to deal with popped up. Not knowing what to do, and also being a lonely little bitch, I dial Austin's phone and spin childishly as I await his answer.

"Yes, Miss. Lainey Bennett?" He asks in a childish toned voice.

"You have an e-mail about an interview and I don't know what to do. Help me!" I drag out gently.

His voice vibrates with laughter, "Who is it from?"

I check the email before widening my eyes. "Holy mother Teresa it's Cosmopolitan Magazine how the fuck did you get so popular, Mr. Wood?" I gasp theatrically.

It wasn't uncommon for Austin to be interviewed. He was a wealthy and successful man in New York and I think at times I forget that. But the magazines under my bed are a kind reminder. Not that I bought them for him. Because they date back to my college years. It's coincidental that he's on the cover a few. Five. He's on five. Goddammit.

Austin hums gently, his voice vibrating through the phone. "All of me wants to say is my assistant. But you've used your prized talents elsewhere."

I was lost for words as he makes a sly comment to whatever sex life we were creating. Or not because as much as I believe I'll give in, part of me will never want to.

"Such crudeness, Mr. Wood," I whisper in hopes of no one hearing our conversation. What a reputation ruining thing it could honestly be. He was known for this sort of thing, and it's no shocker why. But I'd like to think I acted like an angel around the office. Everywhere else, not so much.

"Crude you say? Now I think having my face between your legs was much more crude than a simple statement. Don't you?"

In an attempt to save myself from any looks if I shift too awkwardly, I press my tongue against my canine tooth.

After a moment of pure silence, I speak, "You sure do know how to make a girl suffer."

He chuckles, his voice raspy. "A skill I would call it. And about the interview, go ahead and confirm it. Is that all, Lainey?"

"Yes, Sir," I smirk deviously before hanging up the phone and composing an email to set the date and times for a meeting with Cosmopolitan Magazine.

•———•

Lunch came quicker than planned and I was running late for lunch with Dane. I was supposed to meet him downstairs fifteen minutes ago, but a meeting ran later than planned and I had to finalize a few things before I could go to lunch.

I was rushing around my desk trying to order some things when a voice draws my eyes upwards.

"I sure don't miss these days."

As I look up to Hannah, my stomach drops. It was hard to forget the face of the woman who practically began Austin and I's relationship. Not to mention her impeccable beauty that made me want to physically punch her in the face. I bet that won't change a goddamn thing.