eleven

11 : stains

I was allowed to go home a few days after I woke up, and as the car pulled into the driveway, I couldn't help but laugh.

The Christmas lights were still up.

Lily loved it. She absolutely, completely loved it. She loved our home, finding it extremely beautiful, but her favorite part was the lights. I could see how amazed Remus was, so I asked him to help me into the house. To give him a quick glimpse without the prying eyes of everyone else - even though none of them would judge him.

They all walked closely behind us just in case I fell.

As soon as I was sat on the couch in the living room, I turned to the other three to see how they were reacting to the inside. Lily was fascinated by the marbling around the fireplace, and Remus was admiring Dad and I's floor to ceiling bookcases on either side of the fireplace.

I was surprised to see that Sirius wasn't even looking around the living room, or at the large Muggle portrait Mum and Dad had of James and I when we came home from our fourth year hanging above the fireplace.

I honestly hated that portrait. It just seemed so rich-family-cliché.

As Sirius simply watched me, James noticed my confusion, and elbowed Dad before doing the same to Sirius.

"So who's telling her?"

"You're her twin brother," Dad said, shrugging and trying to get away. James grabbed his sleeve with bewildered eyes.

"You're her dad."

"He's her boyfriend!" Dad protested. James rolled his eyes, and Mum snorted. Sirius held his hands up in defense. The confusion vibrating through me was intense — tell me what?

"Not my house."

"I'll tell her, gosh."

"Tell me what?!"

Mum sat next to me, grabbing her throw blanket and covering her legs and my own. Sirius sat down on the opposite side of me, and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I was momentarily surprised that my father wasn't glaring at Sirius, but then again he had never left my side (except against his will) for the last two weeks. Lily sat on the ottoman after ensuring it was okay, while Remus just continued admiring the books. Dad went over to him and they started a conversation about old books, one that I desperately wanted to go and join, instead of being stared at by my brother, boyfriend, Mum and best friend.

I found myself leaning against Sirius as Mum tried to think of a way to tell me whatever it was that she needed to tell me.

"Sirius moved in," Lily blurted, shrugging when James tapped the side of her knee. "Mama Potter wasn't gonna say it."

"Mama Potter?" I said, raising an eyebrow. I turned to 'Mama Potter'.

"Sirius started calling me that a few days ago," She said, smiling sheepishly. "Lily and Remus picked up on it too."

"And what the do you mean, Sirius moved in?" I questioned, surprise rippling through me as I realized what Lily said. I sat up and turned to Sirius who refused to look at me. Similar to the way a puppy who knew he did something bad avoided eye contact with his owner. He didn't do anything wrong, so I didn't understand why he seemed so shy.

"James sent us all letters when you were taken the hospital," Lily said. "My parents were going to be nearby anyway, so they dropped me off at St. Mungo's, where James led me inside and to you. Remus' parents couldn't afford it, but he said he wanted to come, so Papa Potter went to pick him up - "