Chapter 6

I packed all my belongings into my worn out black backpack. I barely had anything, so my clothes and toiletries bag fit in it along with my laptop and other tech gear I stole from the University. I logged onto my laptop and paid for an Uber to take me to the airport.

I took a look back into the half pink, half barren dorm room, and laughed as I slammed the door, thankful that I will never step foot in there again.

I practically skipped through the deserted campus, an idiotic smile plastered across my face. I found my uber driver, and entered his Ford Focus. I relaxed and stared out the window, watching as Stanford slowly started to fade into the distance. I never left campus much except to get basic groceries, so I never got the chance to explore Pasadena. My heart filled with excitement knowing that I am now able to be free to explore the world without any financial worries.

When we arrived at the airport, I tipped the uber driver and felt a surge of energy. He smiled at my generous tip, and I was grateful that I had enough money to actually be generous.

Since I only had a carry on, I quickly made it through security. I had 2 hours before my flight, and decided to explore the shops. I walked into a boutique, and looked at all the beautiful garments. I've been in clothing shops before, but it's a whole different experience when you're able to actually buy something.

I looked down at my tattered black sweatshirt that I wore everyday for 7 years and my yoga pants that were littered with holes. I'm surprised my converse lasted as long as they have, seeing that they are 7 years old as well and have been wore everyday.

I looked around the shop and bought 5 new blouses, 3 winter jackets, 2 leather jackets, 6 new pairs of jeans, 3 more yoga pants, a pair of vans, Nike Free Runs, a pair of boots, and 2 pairs of booties. I was so use to wearing the same color everyday, that I only got everything in black.

My heart stopped when I saw the total: $1289.47. I handed her the card and felt relief wash over me as it was accepted immediately. It's going to take some time to break my scarcity mindset.

I changed into a black long sleeve shirt, black ripped jeans, my black Nike free runs, and threw on the comfortable leather jacket. I took my old clothes and shoved it in my backpack. I looked in the mirror and almost smiled. I looked incredible.

However said money can't buy happiness must have been one broke son of a bitch.

I still had an hour to spare before my flight, so I wandered the shops again. I stopped in front an overwhelmingly large make-up store. Curiosity got the best of me as I entered.

"Hi ma'am! How can I help you?" The assistant asked.

"Yeah. I have no fucking clue what I'm doing." I said as I looked around at the powders and brushes. I picked a brush up and examined it like it was going to explode at any moment.

"Of course you don't, you're drop dead gorgeous! You don't need makeup. But if you're interested in keeping your natural look, I have just the products for you." She smiled.

"Again, I have no fucking clue what I'm doing." I repeated to her, hoping she catches the hint that I've never worn makeup before in my life.

"Ahh I see. How about a makeover?" She asked sweetly. I hesitantly nodded. I followed the preppy assistant to a chair that she motioned for me to sit in.

It felt like she was ripping my skin off when she was tweezing the bushy mess I called my eyebrows. I looked at my red and swollen forehead and was surprised. A simple change made me look completely different, almost attractive.

Fuck a disguise and dying my hair, all I had to do was pluck my eyebrows.

She then curled my eyelashes and applied mascara to my long lashes. Since my lashes have been untouched, they brushed the bottoms of my eyebrows. She finished my look by applying some lip gloss. It took me a minute to get use to the matte sticky substance on my lips, but I enjoyed it eventually.