Chapter Twenty Six

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Twenty Six

A week has passed since we returned from the half season basketball game

A week has passed since we returned from the half season basketball game. Meaning, today is my eighteenth birthday which I am dreading.

I stopped celebrating when it become a new anniversary. As of today, it's been exactly four years since I woke up with my mother gone. No letter, no text, so warning signs.

I spent the entire twenty four hours lying in bed. I cancel any plans, I skip school, and I try not to move a single limb. I like to pretend that the day nerve happens.

When I was younger, my dad would walk into my room early in the morning with a big cake in his hands. He and my mother would be singing to me, and I'd blow out my candles.

Things got a little different after I was taught how to purge food after binging. I was told that it had to be hidden from dad- he wasn't allowed to know because it was something only mom and I did.

I can hear soft chatter from outside my room, and I assume it's William with someone in the kitchen- whether he's on the phone to his mom or Hunter is here.

My curls hands pull my fluffy white blanket up to my neck and I shut my eyes at the same time my bedroom door clicks open, then close. If I pretend to be asleep, William will leave me alone.

He tries to coax me into climbing out each birthday. It never works, mostly because he treads very carefully around it.

The bed dips behind me, and a heavy arm slides around my waist. It gently pulls me closer to their chest, immediately sprouting warmth to my body. I don't think that's William.

"Happy Birthday, Lollipops." Hunter kisses my cheek before I turn to face him. I tuck my hands between us so they stay warm. I wish I had the ability maintain his body heat.

My eyes open to see his mop of brown hair and those eyes that always seem to mesmerise me. "You know it's my birthday? I never mentioned it."

"I've known for a week." He admits with a sheepish grin. "That's why I planned a day for just the two of us."

There's a spike in my pulse. "Plans? What plans?"

"William said you wouldn't like anything too drastic, so I organised a few simple things so you're not cooped up in your room all day." He manages to make me smile on the one day of the year I hate.

"This is going to be the first birthday in four years that I won't be in bed all day." I say this before processing it. I'd made the choice to get out of bed.

I've never done that before. Typically William asks me if I want to do anything- I've never been told.

"I'm glad to be changing that." Hunter removes his arm from my waist. "Now it's time to get up, shower, and get dressed so we can get some breakfast."