Chapter 8

** REBEL SIMMONS POV **

I never understood how people can claim that food can lead to a comatose state... but now I finally understand. That food coma was the greatest blessing I have ever had in my life. And I'd gladly slip into that heavenly state again if the opportunity should ever arise.

I woke up dazed and confused in an uncomfortable chair with an aching pain in my stiff neck. I looked outside and noticed that it was dark outside. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was 8:00PM.

My circadian rhythm is officially fucked.

My mother and I stayed up until 4am, laughing and talking about my time at Stanford. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'm most likely never going to return, but due to the state that she's in, I'd rather her have peace of mind thinking that her daughter is a perfect little Masters student instead of a cyber criminal.

She worked hard as a cocktail waitress, working as many doubles as she could to make sure we were taken care of after my father died. Ever since I left for college, I made sure that she was taken care of. I did what I knew best, and hacked into the building database, marking it paid in full for the next few years. My mother didn't know how the roof stayed over our her head, but she never questioned it once.

"Morning sleeping beauty." My mother laughed.

"Good evening to be exact." I said stretching out my muscles. "How long have you been up?"

"Since noon." She said as she drank from her glass.

"Why didn't you wake me up?!" I exclaimed as I cracked my neck at different angles.

I've read multiple chiropractic books, so in my mind that basically makes me qualified to realign myself.

"You looked exhausted. You said it was close to finals week, so knowing you I doubt you've been sleeping. You've always prioritized studying over sleep." She said laughing.

"You know me so well." I lied. "So when's your surgery?"

"In two weeks." She said looking down uncomfortably. "Why don't you go and get some fresh air honey. Or maybe go and visit Harry at the library! I'm sure he's missed you since you left." She said. Just like me, she changes the subject when she gets nervous or uncomfortable. A bad habit I picked up from her.

"You sure you'd be okay on your own?" I asked skeptically.

"I'll be fine dear. Now go freshen up and have fun. I could use a nap anyway." She said adjusting her pillow.

I used her private bathroom to shower and get ready. I changed into my black bomber jacket, a tight black long sleeve shirt, and black jeans. I carefully applied mascara and applied some lip gloss. I combed out my hair, letting it dry naturally into soft waves. I put on a pair of booties and kissed my mom on her forehead before I left.

The library was within walking distance from the hospital so instead of a cab, I decided to enjoy the chilling winter breeze. Winter is much more enjoyable with proper clothes.

The streets were quiet and deserted, but I couldn't shake the feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt like uneasy and nervous for some reason.

No shit Rebel. You stole millions of dollars yesterday.

I laughed at my own thought process. Of course I'll feel nervous, I don't think I'd ever feel at ease again.

Despite my nervous demeanor, I wouldn't take back what I did. I felt... different... happier. Not because of the money, but because of the fact that a huge burden has been lifted not only off myself but my mother. I know money can't fulfill you, but it certainly opens up options, and with options, gives you freedom. Real freedom. The freedom to do whatever you want, when you want. A freedom I've been yearning for my entire life.

As I walked up the steps to the familiar library, I couldn't help but smile. This was my safe haven growing up. I always used reading as my way of escaping reality. It's like whenever I start reading, I'm engulfed into another dimension. A dimension where problems don't exist, and you can be and learn anything you want to. My photographic memory starts going off like a filing cabinet, remembering each and every single book I read here.
I pushed the glass door open, and was greeted by Harry's warm smile.

He stood in his usual spot, behind the check in desk. The interior of the library still looked the same, a few more decorations were scattered amongst the tables, but everything was pretty much unmoved.

"I thought you'd forgotten about us after you left!" He said and walked towards me and gave me a hug so tight it knocked the wind out of me. Soul smashing hugs were a common trait of the Jones's.

"I could never forget about you two. How have you been?" I asked, trying to wiggle out of the hug.

"We've been amazing. We just celebrated our 15 year anniversary. I swear my wife gets more beautiful every single year." Harry exclaims. I've always admired their relationship, and one day I would hope to find a man that looks at me the way that Harry looks at Giana.

"Congratulations! Is she here?" I asked. Harry seems lost in thought, like a high school boy thinking about his crush. He takes a few moments to register what I just said.

"Oh! We actually just got back, but she went out to run a quick errand. She should be back soon." He smiled. My stomach growled, informing me of my emptiness.

"I'm going to run across the street and grab some Chinese food then. You want anything?" I offered. I've been eyeing that hole in the wall Chinese restaurant since I was 14, and I think that eating out is now my new guilty pleasure.

"No no, thank you though!" He says. We said a quick "see you soon", and I made my way outside. I walk down the steps of the library, remembering all the books I read about Chinese culture. I crossed the empty street and the smell of delicious Chinese cuisine flooded my senses. As soon as I grabbed the door handle, I felt a hand cover my mouth and a pressure on my neck. My consciousness starts to slip from my grasp, as well as my chances of ever trying Chinese food.

Son of a bitch.