Chapter 28 |Past~Arina|

It's the end of the year. That meant it's time for us to be allocated our future positions. I would most probably either be asked to join the government or the military. 

"It's nearly this time of the year. That means I have the name list for apprentices who are selected by the head family to stay working in the manor. For those whose names are not called, you have to attend the evaluation tomorrow. It'll be a selection for guards and soldiers," Master Fu said solemnly. 

Nobody really cared since the names he called out were going to be his star pupils anyway.

He then began to call out names, as expected many of which his star pupils. It was nearly the end of the list when he said, "The last apprentice, Arina." 

I widened my eyes in shock. I didn't expect that. Who selected me? 

"Arina!" I collected my wooden plaque that indicated my identity as a member of Ivory Manor and my assignment letter from Master Fu. 

Master Fu left soon after that. 

"Arina! We could work together in the manor!" Georgia came fluttering to me excitedly. "Where are you assigned? I got selected as the personal guards for Lady Atherton." 

It didn't come as a surprise. Master Fu had been assigning her missions helping out the guards for Lady Atherton. 

"Congrats," I said. I opened my letter and my heart skipped a beat when I saw my assignment.

"How about you? Maybe we can work together!" 

"I am assigned to be the personal guard for Lady Rosanne." 

"Oh look like we're not working together. But we'll still be close." She smiled brightly. 

Lady Rosanne's guard? But I hadn't even seen Lady Rosanne before. Must be Master Carlisle's work. He wanted to keep his tools close I guessed. Lady Rosanne seldom left her room, so I could easily go on mission. 

I was told to report tomorrow. But turned out fate had its own way. That night was the last night we seniors spent our time in the apprentice court. We had a farewell party. By farewell, we simply ate better than before. We were stuffing ourselves with food we seldom treated ourselves with when we heard the sound of the bells. 

Dong. Dong. Dong. 

All four of us seniors widened our eyes in shocked. We knew what those bells mean. Those bells only rang when someone in the head family died. But who? 

We quickly put down our chopsticks and rushed back to our room. We changed our dresses to plain white ones. We then checked each room to make sure everyone was doing the same. In the end, a servant from the head family informed us stoically that Lady Rosanne of Ivory Manor had passed away tonight. We as apprentices were expected to stand in the practice ground to pay our respect. 

I was numbed when I heard the news. But... but... Lady Rosanne was sound and alive just the day before when I was called by Master Carlisle to play chess with him. Carlisle just returned from his mother's place when I arrived. He seemed to be in a good mood. He didn't even insult me with his sharp tongue. And the week before, Carlisle received a plate of pastry from his mother. Janus said it was made by Lady Rosanne herself. So she was healthy enough to cook for her son! Many bits and pieces of info floated through my mind. Even though I had not seen her in person, there was no indication that she was that sick. Master Carlisle was always in a good mood after seeing his mother. If his mother was sick to the point of no return, he wouldn't behave like that.

Just then I saw Janus appearing at the edge of practice ground, he indicated me to follow him. I told Casey that I need to be excused for awhile and followed Janus into the forest behind the practice ground. 

When we were close to Lady Rosanne's courtyard, Janus said, "A piece of warning, Master is not in a good mood. If his words are more insulting than usual, please bear with them." 

I nodded. We found Carlisle in the backyard garden, amid all the rose bushes. Moonlight was shining down on him. His face was shrouded in darkness. When he met my eyes, his eyes were sharp and filled with anger. 

I bowed and stood there in silence. 

"My mother loved birds," he said softly. "When I was small, her health was still not that bad. She would take me to the lake and feed the birds there. Then, her health deteriorated." His eyes flashed in anger. "She could no longer walk to the lake she liked and fed the birds. She could no longer keep those birds she held so dear."

He stroked my hair once and twirled a strand of my hair around his finger and said, "I would love to send my mother off with a bird at least. Can you stay with my mother for one night?" 

"Of course." I lowered my head and bit my lips to prevent my voice from quivering. "I would love to." 

"Thank you." He smiled. A smile without mocking or sarcasm. Just a pure smile filled with sadness. 

I shifted into a blue finch and flew around Carlisle once before flying towards the rose bush and picked up one rose with my beak. I flew inside the room and saw Lady Rosanne lying on her bed. She was a true beauty. She looked like she was simply sleeping peacefully, waiting to be waken up by the sun. I placed the rose next to her and landed by her side. I chirped bird songs throughout the night. Accompanying Carlisle to send his mother away. 

Until the sun rose.