12. threats & company

❝Can we, we keep, keep each other company?❞
- Justin Bieber, Company.

"It's so hard trying to come up with a topic to share in Girl Up," I said to Kaleb as we walked down the hallway after school on Tuesday.

"Two more unfollows?!" I looked to Kaleb who had a lollipop in his mouth, his face masked with horror as he stared down at his phone.

We always did this. Completely disregard what we said to each other. Yes, we were technically speaking to each other, but were we having the same conversation? No.

"Maybe if you listen to what I have to say, I might send some followers your way," I said through gritted teeth.

He rolled his eyes and looked up from his phone, "These people don't know what they're missing," he scoffed. "What's up?"

"I'm trying to come up with a topic to share in Girl Up. Something that can be put up on the blog."

"Do you have anything in mind?"

"Not right now, but I have to get something by tonight against tomorrow."

"Inspiration will come," he patter my shoulder, "And speaking of tomorrow, do you have to work?"

"No, not really. If there's a reason I'm going, it's to see River."

"Who's River?" He raised an eyebrow.

"The cute guy from the bakery!" I whacked his arm.

"Ow!" He rubbed the spot I'd hit him. "Whoa, hold your horses. How was I supposed to know that?" We reached our lockers which were right beside each other's.

"I didn't tell you?"

"Well, clearly," he rolled his eyes, a scowl on his face.

"Oops," I grinned, knowing it would only annoy him. "I thought I did."

"Whatever. There would be no seeing of any rivers or seas tomorrow, because you're coming over to my house and we're playing FIFA."

"It's Madden or nothing," I shot.

He shook his head, "FIFA."

Every time, Kaleb and I argued on what video game to play at his house. I was usually undefeated in Madden. Not even Hudson could stand with me in Madden, but Kaleb was a king in FIFA. From his smart insults using metaphors to the way he held the game pad, I didn't know how he did it.

"Don't worry, there'll be food as a consolation prize for when you lose," he laughed and I huffed, "I'll surprise you this time."

"Oooh, is that a challenge?" He had a look of feigned shock on his face.

"That's what it is," I cocked an eyebrow.

"Kaleb," I heard the familiar voice call. It was an annoying voice that always made me want to roll my eyes.

Sydney appeared right in front of Kaleb, wrapping her arms around him and kissing his nose. The sound of giggles caused my gaze to avert to Sydney's two talkative friends that had come with her. I looked at them in disgust before hearing Sydney say, "Can we hang out tomorrow after school instead of today?"

"Why, though? Syd, I've got plans already for tomorrow," Kaleb told her.

"Your plans should involve me, Kaleb," she said in almost whiny voice.

"What are you talking about? We were together throughout yesterday after school, and we already made plans for today," I heard a hint of frustration in his voice.