Chapter 25

Somewhat long chapter ahead.

Mark seemed quite astound to see his mother standing right in front of him. The kitchen fell silent and he pursed his lips. You stand there quite awkward. Any second you could just leave, but your feet refused to move.

Ms. Lee opens her arms as she smiles towards her son, obviously wanting a hug from him. "Mark, come give your mother a hug." She pouts, making him only scoff in response.

"I have somewhere to be." He says sternly, walking right past her and out the front door.

She lowers her arms, head hanging low as she turns around to face you. Her eyes are slightly teary but you can tell she's covering it up with a light smile.

You could see the pain in her eyes and the way she tries to hide it so easily as if you wouldn't notice.

"I don't know why he hates me so much..." She laughs softly to cover up her sob, wiping the stray tear that managed to escape.

You didn't know what to say, but just stood there as you see her trying to mask her emotions. But you could see it all. You feel bad for her and you don't even know what the problem is between her and her son.

"Ms. Lee..." You reach out to touch her, but she suddenly flinches.

"I'm sorry." She chuckles nervously as she wipes her teary eyes and smiles brightly.

"Ms. Lee, are you-"

That smile soon fades. She lets out a hefty puff, making her way to the cabinet. "I need a drink." She groans, taking out a tall bottle what seemed to be filled with red wine.

Closely, you watch as she fills one of the glasses one-third full. She doesn't hesitate to quickly quaff down the crimson liquid. You cringe at the sight, knowing by the way she gulped it down in one go that she can handle her liquor.

She glances at you unexpectedly, causing a chill to slither down my back. Her lips part and her eyes squint.

"Can I pour you a glass?" She asks, refilling her empty glass with more of the alcoholic beverage.

You shake your head instantly. "I... Uh, no thanks." You reject her offer and she frowns.

You've learned your lesson after your birthday. You really can't hold your liquor and most likely will be wasted before the second cup.

Well, that's what Sana told you.

You've never really tested her thesis though. You're curious, but careful. Plus, you're not old enough. That was just a one time thing a few months ago. You've definitely learned your lesson...

"Oh, come on, why not?" She whines. "You're eighteen now, aren't ya?"

"The legal age is nineteen." You state.

"One little drink won't kill you, honey."

"I'm fine, really." You reassure and she nods.

She grunts softly while she stretches out her tense neck. Her wine glass is balanced between her dainty fingers and you can't help but admire how charming she is.

Now, you definitely see where Mark gets his looks from.

"Anyway," She sighs. "Let's get to know each other, Y/N."

"You want to?"

"I mean, yeah. Why not?" She snickers. "I'm your mother's best friend. It would be awkward if we didn't know each other."