f i f t e e n

Hayze had danced around the room with River and walked her around it until she was to that point where she could hardly stand anymore

He hated seeing her in the slightest bit of pain, so seeing her all hooked up to the heart monitor and all the other machines made his heart ache. He had major respect for mothers now that he'd seen how much River was hurting during her contractions.

"Alright, you're dilated. You can start pushing when you feel your next contraction. Use the spaces between your contractions to relax and breathe because if you push between that time you could hurt yourself. Okay, sweetie?" the nurse instructed.

River nodded nervously and Hayze hushed her as he swept her damp baby hairs out of your face. He smiled as she grabbed his hand and she pressed a kiss to the back of it.

He winced as River cried out and she dropped her head into the thick pillows. 

"Alright sweetie, push."

Her eyes were squeezed shut and she bit her lip as she pushed which Hayze immediately stopped her from doing because he knew she'd be breaking skin very soon.

She collapsed into the bed as the contraction faded away and Hayze pressed a kiss to her forehead. "You're doing so well bella rosa."

She smiled at him weakly, her heavy breaths starting to calm. "This hurts."

He chuckled and gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "I can tell."

She winced and shifted uncomfortably, another contraction coming.

"Again?" he asked cautiously.

She rolled her eyes and nodded. "Yes again." Her breaths sped up and she began pushing again. "Ouch ouch. Shoot shoot shoot."

"Just breathe through it babygirl. You're such a good, strong girl."

She whimpered and the doctor encouraged her to push again.

She cried out and her head came off the pillows as she screamed slightly in pain. Hayze closed his eyes and pressed multiple kisses on the back of her hand.

"Come on sweetie, push a little more," the doctor coaxed.

After her contraction faded once again, she collapsed into the bed, her cheeks flushed, her baby hairs damp with sweat but the rest of her was pale.

"Hayze," she said quietly. 

"Yes, bella rosa?" he asked in concern, wondering if she was supposed to look as exhausted and fragile as she did now.

"I-I don't feel so good," she said as another wave of contractions hit her. She screamed and Hayze flinched backwards as her grip on his hand tightened to the point where he was feeling pins and needles.

"Push sweetie! You need to push!" the nurse exclaimed. "You're almost there."

"I-I ca-can't Hayze," she said weakly and Hayze looked at her with wide eyes as her head began to lull to the side. "It really hurts," she whimpered.

"Somethings wrong," he panicked as he noticed the heart rate monitor speed up. "Somethings f~cking wrong!"

A nurse scurried over to a machine to check what was wrong as River weakly tried to push.

"Hayze," River said hoarsely but Hayze didn't hear her. "Hayze."

His eyes snapped to meet her doe, honey green eyes and he noticed the tears in her eyes.

"Why do you look so scared, my love?" she asked softly, a sad smile on her face. Her voice was fading from her.

River had never seen the look of raw and utter terror in Hayze's eyes until now and she hated that she was the cause of it.

Hayze looked between her and the slowing heart rate monitor. He bit his lip and swallowed multiple times over the lump in his throat.

"Make sure our baby is okay. Alright, my love?" she asked softly as she reached up and caressed his face.

"She's high risk!" a nurse from somewhere in the background shouted and that got all the doctors and nurses scrambling.

His chin trembled as he reached up and held the hand that was placed on his cheek. "Don't you dare f~cking leave me. Don't you dare," he said as he watched the color leave her face. "River, be a good girl and listen to me. Don't leave me. Its you and me!"

Another contraction hit her in a huge wave and she cried out as she began doing her best to push. The nurses came scrambling back when they shouted about her crowning; though the voices were muffled to Hayze's ears.

"F~ck River! What the hell are you doing?"

"Promise me you won't swear around our baby," she said as she tried to laugh through the pain.

"As long as you promise not to leave me."

Hayze looked into her eyes and that's when he knew

She'd known the whole time something like this could happen.

She'd known the whole. f~cking. time.

 time