Practice makes perfect

Lance's pov
At the moment when Keith opened his mouth Lance knew that he was at least quiznacked. Being late two days in a row, that wasn't not cool even for McLain and he realized it.

That's why he didn't say anything in response to Mullet's accusations hidden in his remark. McLain kept his mouth shut and nodded obediently.

"Get your bike."

Kogane walked towards his own motorbike and lead it so it wasn't nearby other vehicles. Lance followed his actions. They stood in front off each other and were both leaning on their bikes. The staring contest begun and McLain didn't want to lose it. He kept his eyes open and looked directly at Keith's grey-purple irises and those black pupils. It became a little hypnotic, especially when he felt Mullet's glare on himself.

"What the quiznak the two of you are doing?" Lotor shouted irritated from the place he stood. "I get that lovebirds need to bond, but we don't have all day to watch you guys stare at each other and blush furiously."

"I'm not blushing!" Lance squeaked turning to him while a blush started to cover his face.

"Ha! I've won." Keith yelled enthusiastically.

"No you haven't! I was just... just distracted! It's all Lotor's fault!"

Keith for a moment looked like he was about to blow up from laughter and he did. It was so soft and pure, that Lance actually realized that he would like to hear this sound more often. It caused this warm feeling spreading through his body, but it didn't reach his face. McLain didn't need to show this Mullet that he had liked their little staring contest.

"Let's start from the basis. I saw you riding yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

"Gee, thank you." Lance rolled his eyes.

"It was actually a compliment... Anyway you seemed quite comfortable on your bike and had even a little balance, which some racers seemed to lack."

"I'm starting to like where you're going with this talk."

"Could you stop interrupting me?!

Back to the point, you have some instincts, which are needed to become a good racer, but you don't know your bike. You have no idea what it can do and you don't know your opponents. You can be talented, but when someone knows your weaknesses you're lost."

"Why so pessimistic?"

"I'm being realistic."

"Gee, chill out. When our little race starts?"

"What little race?"

"Well I've came here to practice with you, that means racing."

"Does it?"

"Yes. I just need to learn how to kick your butt and then hello girls and other loving fans."

"You seem too confident."

"No. I'm just the best racer. I don't have any experience and I've already had third place at the regionals."

Lance crossed his armes on his chest parodying Keith and glanced at him with superior expression on his face. Kogane seemed like he didn't catch the joke and just clenched his lips so they became a thick line.

"Well, but you weren't the first."

And again this uncomfortable silence and the tension running high. Suddenly Lance's stomach rumbled so loud that Keith looked at him like he was the most pathetic person in the world.